Detroit front locker binding up and exploding hubs | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Detroit front locker binding up and exploding hubs

Dannyboy

Other Make & Models Mod
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
43°48′48″N 91°13′59″W
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 4 do'
First the setup, 94 Ex with 35's, 4.56's, EZ locker and Warn hubs

I launched a hub a few weeks ago and was told this was uncommon,
I was on a run this weekend and I blew both new Warns as well as one of Ryan1's milemarkers. after the first two(from a few weeks ago and the first on the trail) everything seemed fine, but now the front was making some clicks especially turning and it is not locking. I have both explosions on video and the third one (Ryan's) was done on flat ground towing someone out, The third especially had no tire spin or hop, just suddenly the hub let loose. I am afraid I juiced my locker but what will I maybe find when I open my front diff, and why is this causing hubs to blow. I feel like I should install a hub dispenser on my Explorer 3 in 2 days is nuts.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've got 3 words for you.......................

SOLID AXLE SWAP!!!!

:D

Well, if you've blown a hub, you may have damaged the locker in the first time.

Chances are, you got a chip off the locker stuck somewhere. I'd take the front end apart, and see if there's any damage.

Any clue what I am going to find when I open the front end, it doesn't lock up but the steering sucks like there is a spool in there. Could I have damaged the carrier or ring and pinion.

Solid axle swap? No, I say body swap. get a nice F-350 for your xploder.

Solid Axle in the front would be nice.
Broken parts are a problem with a locker in front.
I have found that if the wheels are not as close to straight as possible when appling throttle then something will give.
I have broken the u-joints a few times until I learned to keep the wheels straight.

One thing, do not lock the front hubs until you really need it.
Grease up the front u-joint as often as possible.

Good Luck,

:usa: :chug: :ca:

Danny, are you Wheel-n on rock or mud and sand? I've run an EZ in front with Boggers for 5 years w/o any problems. However, my wheel-n isn't on rock and Florida terrain allows a lot of slippage. Plus, I agree with the other " Try to keep the wheels straight when applying throttle".:redexp:

Dan - it sure sounds like you have nothing but lots of differential problems....... take it apart and see what is wrong inside before you spend any more money on new hubs..... it's not that easy to blow a hub.... I had powertrax in my 94's front diff and had no problems at all..... didn't hear Pete complain too after he bought that truck from me........ see what the problem is..... and don't drive in 4 wheel drive mode for now...... you might just lock up the front. I don't think you'd be happy with that . . .

:(

I've been thinkin about this for awhile now and I've got a few ?s Danny.

Who is doing the work?(you/friend/4x4 shop)

I too have done this once. Right after I got the ARB put in. Is what I found was a broken axle shaft retaining clip. It broke and the torque from the locker pushed it out and blew the hub into a few chunks.

It was explained to me that with a locker up front your axle shafts do move side to side. Very little but they do. If you haven't put the shaft in correctly it will gernade itself out of the diff. Under bad luck thats all that will happen. Under really bad luck it will come shooting out with so much force it will blow the hub. Which is what sounds like your doing.

Just do a solid axle swap and forget about it.:D

Back