• Register Today It's free!

Devil you know or time to ditch?

mc809

Reaction score
City, State
Boston, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer '04 XLT
Realize this question is highly individual, circumstantial and subjective. But I'd like input on how close I am to that crossroad when it might not make sense to put money into an aging vehicle. Here are the basics:

2004 XLT 4WD V6 w/ 157k. Bought in 07 with 66k. Favorite feature: no car payments.

Haven't put that much into it over the years. Just things regular maintenance schedule plus brakes, hubs, ball joints, front diff. Only big expense was tranny at 115k. Have chased around all the little things like switches.

Runs and drive more or less the same as when I bought it, maybe a little creakier. But getting that feeling that the day of a very expensive repair might not be far off, like timing cassette (never changed), another tranny or...??

Set to spend <$1000 on expected maintenance -- rear quick struts, rear rotors and pads, 100k belt/tensioner and radiator flush, gear/transfer oil, tires at some point. Front seat's toast but that's only $75 at local yard.

What would you do? Better the devil you know? Or stop here and put the grand into another used sub-50k 3rd gen XLT under $10k (e.g. local Ford dealer listing: 03, V6, 37k miles)?

Thanks, all views welcomed.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just have to look at your needs and future needs. If you don't have leather or fancy features, you may want consider upgrading to something you really want. The money for repairs can go towards a newer vehicle. However if you don't really desire any new features or different color exc. might as well keep. Not having a vehicle payment (Which I will never know the blessing of it, since I dug myself a deep hole months ago) can help you put money where you want it. Mabye its time for an audio upgrade or exhaust? The money you save from buying a new vehicle you can make yours unique. Mabye the payment for the new truck can get you something else. A nice mustang perhaps. People like me justify it as a "backup vehicle", just in case something major does happen.

My own '04 is pushing 146K. Bought from original owner in 2010, $7000, with 91K. Believe nothing replaced by owner.

Did routine, fuel filter, new starter (noisy, new one same!), pads, etc. 100K, rear wheel bearing. 110K, TCC solenoid quit, new sol. pack, added filter in cooling line.

That's it. Trans. shifts like always. No gear noise, tight ride. Worries: chain tensioners, transmission.

I'm going to keep driving the damned thing! imp

I too am at a similar crossroad. I have an 03 Limited. Outside of a Mustang (which I own a few) I can't see myself behind the wheel of anything else. I however am at that crossroad. I'd mid stream with getting ready to pull the engine. The outside and the chassis is clean, it's eveything else that's wearing down. I did decide to try the swap. If it doesn't work then I may actually look to get an 06-07 from a more forgiving climate and drive it back.

already planned out

I've already let my shop know that when/if the engine or transmission goes on this explorer, I'm prepared to replace both at the same time with the rockauto rigs for $2,000 each, so I can save some labor costs. I figure I'll be out about $5,500 total for a basically new Explorer V8 with a 3yr/unlimited mileage warranty on both the engine and tranny. That's about what the warranty was when I bought it brand new.......

I figure if any wire harnesses need to be replaced, they can be easily replaced while the engine/tranny are out, so I can freshen up the electrical stuff.

I've basically completely rebuilt the entire suspension at this point in the last few months, so it would literally be a nearly new vehicle. Always been in New Mexico or Arizona, so frame and body are in great shape with no rust.

Funny thing is it has 183k on it now, with the original engine and tranny and doesn't seem to have any major issues, knock on wood, so I may not have to do anything for the foreseeable future.

Update, for what it's worth, if anything, to anyone on the fence...

I decided to stay with the DEVIL I know. Finally got a new, badly needed divers seat. Rear struts, pads and rotors, drive belt and pulleys, blend door actuator on the way as we speak from Rockauto. Fixed rust over gas door and paint en-route.

Having ordered all this ****e, yesterday the tranny died. 4 months and 8K over the 3 year/30k waranty from the last rebuilt I put in. At the tranny shop now, expecting $2,300 bad news.

Should have sent this POS to the scrapper.

It's odd I've seen some of these go for 175-200k miles and some struggle at 90k. Mine is apart at 110k. Seems most of the engines I've located from scrapyards tell me they must all bite the bullet at 125-140k. Seeing pics of what I imagine to be possibly sound vehicles I can only imagine it's the trans going forcing owners to scrap.

That is why it is important that you service it. They can leak and you will never know. Also, they call for 30K service intervals for a reason

Back