diablo5969 - to continue our discussion | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

diablo5969 - to continue our discussion

i thought this might generate some good ideas so i hope you don't mind if i made our discussion public:

i'm starting to look at cosmetic ideas for a change of pace :

quote from diablo5969:
(Could you fit the 31 inch tires without a lift? Also, if you want a couple other free/cheap aesthetic mods, you could try getting a shortened antenna or lowering your windshield wipers. You could also go for tint or a custom paint job! :)

as far as the the 31's - was one of the lucky ones that the factory tolerances were just right that i didn't have to lift for everyday/light offroad driving, they only rubbed @ full lock turns for about a week when new.

right now i'm torn between two ideas:

1) sporty hi-tech look - ie: billet grill, clear corners, remove body moldings, possible a dodge RT stripe kit

2) beefier off-road look - brush bar w/ multi light set-up, home made speed grill insert, small lift 2-3", tail light protection bars, maybe some nerf sliders (if i go this way - which is what i'm leaning toward - i plan to to have the brush/tails/nerf bars powder coated & color fleck matched to the original paint)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It depends on how the Ex will be used. If it stays on road it's whole life, get the sporty hi-tech look. If it goes off road, I'd get the beefier off road look. You can mix it up a little and get a little of each in there, it just depends on what you're going for. My rule of thumb: if you think it'll look cool, give it a shot :)

BTW, for the 31 inch tires, will they fit on just any Explorer, or does it have to be a certain kind of Ex that can take 31 inchers without a lift?

my 2WD Sport needed a slight lift for 31x10.5s to fit without rubbing. 4 doors and 4WDs tend to be a bit higher, and I believe most 4dr 4x4s can fit them without any problems.

Originally posted by diablo5969
It depends on how the Ex will be used. If it stays on road it's whole life, get the sporty hi-tech look. If it goes off road, I'd get the beefier off road look. You can mix it up a little and get a little of each in there, it just depends on what you're going for. My rule of thumb: if you think it'll look cool, give it a shot :)

BTW, for the 31 inch tires, will they fit on just any Explorer, or does it have to be a certain kind of Ex that can take 31 inchers without a lift?

my X is/will be primarily a daily driver, it does see a fair (twice a week in fair weather months) amount of light duty off roading (fire trails/woods trails/moderate mud bogging/dune running), so maybe a combo of my 2 ideas, ie: billet, clears & color matched nerfs w/ a lift.

on the issue of tires - it really depends on the tides of the moon. i'm on my second set, 2 of my friends fought over my take offs and they wouldn't fit either of thier X's - 91xlt and 94spt 4x4's

Due to parental interference I probably will never get the chance to put 31 inchers on my Ex. But it's good to know the possibility exists :)

Yeah, a mix of the two ideas would probably turn out pretty cool. I say go for it :thumbsup:

Diablo, my parent's are against most mods to my truck, but they like the look of the 31s and the improved ride/handling.

My parents aren't like that. My parents have a mindset of, "Well, if that's the way it came from the factory, they must've decided that that's the best thing for the car, so don't change it." It's really annoying, and it makes modding the Ex harder because they've all got to be hidden mods somehow.

Originally posted by diablo5969
My parents aren't like that. My parents have a mindset of, "Well, if that's the way it came from the factory, they must've decided that that's the best thing for the car, so don't change it." It's really annoying, and it makes modding the Ex harder because they've all got to be hidden mods somehow.
My dad's the same way. I do mods anyway, but don't get me wrong, I take a lot of crap for it.

I don't even get given the opportunity to take crap for it. Oh well. Since the car is 8 years old, my dad gave me permission to work on the stereo, to modernize it. He was picturing me getting a CD player and considering the stereo done. So far I have a new headunit and new speakers, with new amps and sub in the works. Oh well, he did give me permission to work on the stereo :D

Since the truck in 8 years old, convince him that the suspension and powertrain need "updating" as well. Hell, I'm replacing the leafs on my 96 due to sag. Just say, "See, I need new leaf springs, see the sag? Guess I need those 4" OME lift leafs!" See how well that works?

Something tells me that's one of those ideas that sounds better than it works :D

Back