• Register Today It's free!

Diagnosis help please...

jeff4912

Reaction score
City, State
Seattle, Wa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ford Explorer 4WD
I have a 03 Explorer XLT. At low speed when I turn the steering wheel left or right it sometimes causes a vibration shudder coming from the front end.

When stopped I can turn the wheel lock to lock and no shudder.

No tire wear. Car tracks straight while driving.

Brakes are new. Only thing I can think of is a ball joint.

Was told the right lower ball joint has a "little" play in it and I am wondering if that can cause the shudder I am feeling.

The shudder does not occur on initial drive in the morning(cold). Seems to only occur once the car has been driven for a bit(warmed up).

102k on the odometer.

I have a 03 Explorer XLT. At low speed when I turn the steering wheel left or right it sometimes causes a vibration shudder coming from the front end. Low speed only? Suggests that forward movement of the vehicle somehow allows the problem to occur, since it does not while the vehicle is not moving. So, something allows movement of a part which causes the shudder. The "key" may be: shudder occurs only when the wheels are turning...

When stopped I can turn the wheel lock to lock and no shudder. Wheels not turning (rotating), no shudder

No tire wear. Car tracks straight while driving.

Brakes are new. Only thing I can think of is a ball joint.

Was told the right lower ball joint has a "little" play in it and I am wondering if that can cause the shudder I am feeling. "Little" is a subjective term. A brand-new ball joint might exhibit a "little" play....Ford Shop Manual recommends supporting vehicle under lower control arm with tire off ground, then having a 2nd. person apply prying force between the tire and ground, while the other observes relative movement between spindle and arm. Prefer seeing 1/32" MAX.

The shudder does not occur on initial drive in the morning(cold). Seems to only occur once the car has been driven for a bit(warmed up). Thick and "cushiony" when cold: grease in wheel bearings, fluid in power steering system...anything else? A difficult diagnosis, new problem to me, so guesswork prevails. Am leaning toward 2 things wrong, each supporting the other in causing the shudder....failing wheel bearing causing sufficient "jarring" to create rattling of the lower ball joint...doubt involvement of upper joint, but would not hurt to check it also. Just my 2 cents worth. imp

102k on the odometer.

Imp,

Thanks for the in depth response, I had not thought about a wheel bearing.

That would be very possible.

I will let you know if and when I figure it out.

Take Care.

After doing some research, I think it may be the rear differential fluid needing changing, and that "special" Ford additive that keeps the clutch plates lubed on the limited slip rear end.

Back