did 1st oil change-observations/questions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

did 1st oil change-observations/questions

tomg4121

Reaction score
City, State
SE PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 XLT
Oil change was pretty easy. I had to remove an air flow tube (see picture below). Does everyone's '11 have this or is this a trailer tow package item only?
Also, for anyone with some auto engineering knowledge, can the front of the vehicle be jacked up on that bar in the picture the tube is attached to? It looks like it would support it, but I'm not 100% positive.

explorer.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would assume you can jack it up on that bar, but haven't tried it yet. I also have the air tube on my XLT (with tow package).

Same, I also have the air intake with the tow package. Caught me off guard when I saw it just today. Are those two 2x6s you're using to get a few more inches of lift? I need to make a couple of them, open for suggestions.

What oil did you end up using? 5W-20 Motorcraft or did you go synthetic? Anything to be aware of/watch out for?

Yes, those are 2 x 6's screwed together for some lift. My '02 Explorer was high enough I didn't need them to change the oil, unfortunately the '11 needs it. I have many jack stands but I couldn't find a decent place to set them under this Ex since there is no frame. As far as the oil, I used Motorcraft 5w 20 full synthetic to see if I can pull some better MPG's. If you do this oil change yourself, you do have to remove that tube to get to the oil plug on the pan. No tools trequired to remove it though.

At what mileage did you do the oil change? I plan to do an early oil change (as I have done on every car I've ever owned) at about the 1,000 mile mark.

1800 miles. I meant to do it earlier but couldn't find the time until yesterday. I keep my vehicles for 6-8 years and tend to "over maintain" them. I still change all my vehicles every 3000 miles too (when not using synthetic).

Doing mine this weekend @ 500 and then every 3000.

I will try using my ramps (lo profile Rhinos). Report to follow.

Did the second oil change last week at the 7,000 miles mark (6,000 mile interval). The first one was done at the 1,000 mile mark. Full synthetic 5W20. My interval will be between 6-7,000 miles. Over 8,000 miles on the clock now.

I have read many articles about oil changes leading up to my purchase of my '11 Explorer and have come to the conclusion that frequent oil changes at a certain interval is over kill and not necessary.

Vehicles these days and now our Explorers have intelligent oil systems for a reason. The monitoring these systems do is very sophisticated.

I will be taking my Explorer in for an oil change when it tells me to. And at it's current pace will for around 18,000.

@18,000? Umm I wouldn't go that far even with synthetic..

I will be taking my Explorer in for an oil change when it tells me to. And at it's current pace will for around 18,000.

dont you dare cry when you blow it the f up

I have read many articles about oil changes leading up to my purchase of my '11 Explorer and have come to the conclusion that frequent oil changes at a certain interval is over kill and not necessary.

Vehicles these days and now our Explorers have intelligent oil systems for a reason. The monitoring these systems do is very sophisticated.

It is your Explorer,but I would advice you to at least follow Ford's recommendation in the owners manual. DO NOT EXCEED ONE YEAR OR 10,000 MILES.
I am not using full synthetic and plan at changing at 5K intervals.I did a change after the first 1000 miles.

My question is not meant to sound sarcastic, please don't interpret it that way. I understand that monitoring systems have gotten better, but a major reason you change oil is that it breaks down (change in viscosity) and becomes contaminated with dirt and debris. How does a monitoring system change how quickly debris and viscosity are affected?

Admittedly, I over maintain my vehicles, but its also because I tend to keep them for a long time. I also have never used a synthetic oil but am considering it with my new Explorer (should be in next week!). With my extra maintenance, I have really never had major engine issues in any of my cars, which is hard to chalk up to coincidence.

My question is not meant to sound sarcastic, please don't interpret it that way. I understand that monitoring systems have gotten better, but a major reason you change oil is that it breaks down (change in viscosity) and becomes contaminated with dirt and debris. How does a monitoring system change how quickly debris and viscosity are affected?

Admittedly, I over maintain my vehicles, but its also because I tend to keep them for a long time. I also have never used a synthetic oil but am considering it with my new Explorer (should be in next week!). With my extra maintenance, I have really never had major engine issues in any of my cars, which is hard to chalk up to coincidence.
The explorer calculates how you drive. Its based on how much city driving you do or how much highway driving you do. Then it estimates how much breakdown there should be and tells you. At least thats how I understand it.

Forget the debate over the life expectancy of the oil, what about the oil filter life expectancy. Is everyone changing their filter when they replace their oil? Also you can buy extended life oil filters. Do you do oil changes without changing the filter sometimes if you have an extended service filter?
What is everyones opinion on oil filter maintenance.

Do you do oil changes without changing the filter sometimes if you have an extended service filter?
What is everyones opinion on oil filter maintenance.

Every 3,000 miles filter & oil. Ford syn blend 5w-20.

Hopefully Walmart will start stocking the oil filter (FL500S). I have been buying on Amazon.com.

Every 3,000 miles filter & oil. Ford syn blend 5w-20.

Hopefully Walmart will start stocking the oil filter (FL500S). I have been buying on Amazon.com.

How does the synthetic blend oil compare in cost to conventional oil? Also, where is everyone getting their filters, and oil?

i just bought an oil filter from Wallmart. They had the a book with all the part numbers for air.oil,and fuel filters for 2011 ford explorer with 3.5 liter engine. The fram filter is 10575 with different prefix letter for the quality of filter you want. I always use the tough guard oil filter because it has rubber grip on the end of the filter cannester which alows you to remove and install without a wrench. The number for tough guard is TG10575. I have not installed it yet.

i just bought an oil filter from Wallmart. They had the a book with all the part numbers for air.oil,and fuel filters for 2011 ford explorer with 3.5 liter engine. The fram filter is 10575 with different prefix letter for the quality of filter you want. I always use the tough guard oil filter because it has rubber grip on the end of the filter cannester which alows you to remove and install without a wrench. The number for tough guard is TG10575. I have not installed it yet.

To each his own,but I would use caution in using Fram filters.Quality issues have been found in tne Fram oil filters.You may want to look at clips on UTube,you can see these issues for yourself.Just aheads up !

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

To each his own,but I would use caution in using Fram filters.Quality issues have been found in tne Fram oil filters.You may want to look at clips on UTube,you can see these issues for yourself.Just aheads up !
I would never by a Fram anything. Over the years there have been bunch of negative test results. I currently use Mobile 1 oil and filters but will go with what Ford recommends.

Jack

Back