Did a factory reset, screen went black and now won't come back on. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Did a factory reset, screen went black and now won't come back on.

Mastkeeper

Reaction score
City, State
Spokane,wa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 explorer limited
I read to reset, push power button and another button together. Problem is, I don't know what power button they are referring to.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
I'm guessing it's the radio power button. What is the "other" button? Main question is what were you attempting to do? Did you have problem?

Peter

That is the problem, I could not find a way to turn the entertainment off. So, I did a factory reset and the screen never came back on. If there is a power button everyone refers to, it could be on the screen which is now black.
If you know what other power button people are referring to, please let me know.
I just bought this 3 days ago.

I also read if I disconnected the battery cable, that would reset but what other problems will I create doing it?

Did you initially try turning the radio OFF before you did the reset?
Disconnecting the neg cable will set most things back to factory defaults. Transmission will have to go through relearn procedure as will the idle and fuel trim strategy. Saved memory may be lost. It is actually covered in the Manual in the section about battery replacement.

Peter

I disconnected the neg battery cable, and screen was still black. Radio worked for about 5 second, just noise, no screen, then dead again.

It could be that the APIM itself is bad.

Yes, I've been researching and it could be the problem.
It was working fine up until I decide to do the factory reset.
Oh well, guess I got a lemon.

If indeed that is the problem, you did better than a lot of others in having it last 10 or so years.

Peter

Yes, but I just bought it, now I know why I got a " good deal"
Lol

Yes, but I just bought it, now I know why I got a " good deal"
Lol
Don't forget that it's only an assumption that the APIM is bad at this point. Perhaps other members may have some ideas.

Peter

Update since yesterday, I gave it a try this am and it kind of updated and is now working.
I'm hoping it will stay on since I was the one who did a restart.
I'm happy right now.

Back