• Register Today It's free!

Did I break my TPS?

ap1000

Reaction score
City, State
Alabama
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 XLT
I have been chasing a P1121 (MAF inconsistant with TPS) code for a couple of moths ago and am rechecking the work that was done just prior to the CEL becoming a constant PITA.

The work done just prior:

1. engine degreasing
2. replacement of TPS (throttle position sensor)

So, this afternoon, I decide to check the installation of the TPS, thinking perhaps the butterfly valve is not engaging the sensor. I did some turning of the sensor (gingerly) until I heard a CLICK. The click didn't sound friendly. I put it back on the truck and after the second time cranking, get another CEL right away: P0122 Throttle/Petal Position Sensor/Switch A Circuit Low Input.

DId I break my TPS? or can I fix this one by twisting it back to the correct postion. I hate to think I have to buy another $30.00 part for something stupid I did. :rolleyes:

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks Brooklyn. You always help out. I presume you mean check to see if the throttle is under to rotary dial in side ther sensor, thereby transmitting a lower voltage.

I love my truck, but is trying my patience. :)

The small shaft from the throttle body going into the tps might have over turned, and skipped (this is what I should have said before as a better description). Check to see if it either skipped, or broke the inside of the tps.

The sensor was kaput. So, I go to Pepboys this time (instead of Autozone)and buy a replacement. Guess what? It's been installed for 4 days and no CEL. The trucks is running fine: no slipping sensation, WOT engages properly, etc. All this time, it was something so simple.

Now I can change my rear shocks.

The ones from autozone were Wells. I think the one from pepboys was BWD. I'll check and make sure.

Glad it's working............(BTW, thanks for the up date).......because, I always enjoy hearing, "the solutions" to problems.

Aloha, Mark

Back