Did I go too big? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Did I go too big?

Ok, finally I worked up the nerve to go buy some wheels and rubber for my x, and have the shackles and 4 door leaf pack ready to go. The tires are 32x11.50 r15 Wrangler Mtr's on eagle alloy series 058 15x8. I have seen explorers running this size of tire with this type of lift, but it seems most go for the body lift too. Is that something I am going to have to deal with too? I have a 97 sport 4x4, and would like to do a BL, but up here in the great white north, they go for about $350!!! Any hints to what I might have gotten myself into would be greatly appreciated. :chug:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

burgo said:
Ok, finally I worked up the nerve to go buy some wheels and rubber for my x, and have the shackles and 4 door leaf pack ready to go. The tires are 32x11.50 r15 Wrangler Mtr's on eagle alloy series 058 15x8. I have seen explorers running this size of tire with this type of lift, but it seems most go for the body lift too. Is that something I am going to have to deal with too? I have a 97 sport 4x4, and would like to do a BL, but up here in the great white north, they go for about $350!!! Any hints to what I might have gotten myself into would be greatly appreciated. :chug:

You may to do some trimming on the rears of the front fenders.. You should have installed the shackles & leaf springs first and did a test fit unless you don't care about trimming.

Well you have the tires, make it work. I think you'll be glad you got the 32's in the long run.

I have 32x11.5 R15's w/3.75 backspacing and I did a TT and shackle lift expecting to fit them... after putting them on i still had to slice a couple inches off the front bumper and then hammer/fold over a little of the edges of the front fenders, then I cut out some of the extra plastic in the rear of the wheel well, as well as taking off my side skirts. They fit well and I could drive around town without rubbing but when off-road I like unbolting my sway bars and thats when the rubbing was bad... the sheet metal from the fenders tore chunks of lugs off my MTs. So I went with the 3" PA 883 ranger body lift and added that to the TT and shackles and I was home free. I personally like the body lift a lot now and think people don't give it enough credit for all the other advantages it gives you too, such as significalty raising the rocker panels, having much more room to work with when under there, and keeping the COG as low as possible.
You can't order from 4 wheel parts online or summit racing? thats where I get all my stuff too, since there aren't many 4wd shops in my area.

you can kind of see my fender hacking in this picture(driver's side):
18100herculined_rockers.jpg

Tahnks for all the info guys. I jumped at this deal before I raised my truck up, i got the tires for less than a set of BF Mud Terrains, and I got $30 off each rim too. Iguess with the $ I saved I could spend it on a used bl off the site. Just have to keep my eyes open for it

What is $350 CAN in US$?

Maybe you could get someone in the northern US to buy one and ship it up to you.

Back