DId I hurt my 4r70W? Need Answer ASAP | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

DId I hurt my 4r70W? Need Answer ASAP

RandomNerd2000

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
South Carolina
Year, Model & Trim Level
00 5.0, 01 4.0.
So my 2001 Eddie Bauer V8 AWD swap is locked solid. Engine turned fine when sat in bay, transmission also turned fine, no water in the oil of either. Trans needed TC nuts tightened to try to crank it tomorrow, need to move it somewhere safe for the hurricane/TS coming Thursday, engine and trans are locked solid. Starter with big battery and charger on high boost will NOT turn it at ALL. No luck with breaker bar. Any clues? Pulling trans tomorrow morning to find issue if nobody has a clue.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This turned to a disaster fast. So the trans refused to turn snug against the motor, talk about a disappointment. It's now out AGAIN. The TC refused to come out of the trans, I hope the pump isn't damaged, I had a real fight getting it off the motor and then out of the transmission. What are the odds it's hurt? I don't think I bound it up and cracked the pump internally or anything, I turned and pulled and pushed on the small and big shafts and they're still snug. It's really got me worried now.

How did this happen? Did you just install the trans?
Stabbing the auto trans is a little tricky, if not done properly you can for sure bind up or mash the front pump......
Bring us up to speed!
Hopefully Dorian does not make this harder for you.........yikes

I'm thinking that when you assembled the trans to motor or trans to T-case you didn't get them threaded in right.

So update, messed with it well over an hour and ended up taking the trans back down, wasn't a bad job. I absolutely failed to get the converter to seat back in after it got "stuck" to the flexplate for whatever reason. I rotated and wiggled a solid 15 minutes and something just wasn't having it. Even had someone come try to seat it beside me, he couldn't. I Inspected the trans, no signs of damage done, I then replaced the converter.

The new one went right in super easy and the trans is back in. The entire combo will turn with a regular ratchet, the trans also turns a lot easier from the converter than it did before, I turned it by hand on the jack to check to see if I had a noticeable fluid level drop, and I noticed a visible improvement. It's probably in my best interests to just replace the converters when I have a trans out. I shouldn't have to do a single drivetrain repair to this car once finished for at least 100K miles once it's finished.

*Edit* I missed the comment about the TC being improperly installed. I do in fact have it installed properly, as I did before. When installing a 4R series trans, you have to have the nub of the TC seated far enough in that you can lay a straight edge across the bell housing and it not touch the nub in the center of the TC. That's exactly how it was taught to me.

yes and when you go to bolt the converter studs to the flexplate it should pull the converter forward 3/8" of an inch
That is a properly seated converter and a properly stabbed transmission
Well done, hope it works out.
I smashed one front pump early on in my auto trans install days....that was fun, but it is also how we learn!

Back