Did NOT get Factory Tow Package, Now What? | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

The radiator is different as well when you have the trailer tow package. It is a thicker radiator for better cooling.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So... what if you dont have the tow package.... and someday.... for some reason.... you need to be "pulled out" from somewhere from behind ?

I mean, I dont need to tow anything but the other day I got stuck in the sand (yeah yeah, shouldnt be there on the first place)... and needed to be pulled out from behind... my EX doesnt have the hole (on the rear bumper) that comes in most cars to screw the little "hook" to be pulled... what to do ?

So... what if you dont have the tow package.... and someday.... for some reason.... you need to be "pulled out" from somewhere from behind ?

I mean, I dont need to tow anything but the other day I got stuck in the sand (yeah yeah, shouldnt be there on the first place)... and needed to be pulled out from behind... my EX doesnt have the hole (on the rear bumper) that comes in most cars to screw the little "hook" to be pulled... what to do ?
The place that the tow hook screws into is only in the Front bumper. If you need to be towed from the rear, use the hook mounted on the left side as shown in this picture

Peter.

Attachments

• P1300173_1.JPG
    P1300173_1.JPG
    150.8 KB · Views: 1,052

thanks Peter, I looked everywhere and I did not see that thing... I swear to God.... Ill go check right now... I cant be that blind !!!

Feel free for anyone to jump in and correct me if i'm wrong, but that picture is not a recovery hook and is actually a tie down hook used during delivery that is not used all the time, and when it is, normally removed at the dealer.

Would like to hear from someone more in the know.

Feel free for anyone to jump in and correct me if i'm wrong, but that picture is not a recovery hook and is actually a tie down hook used during delivery that is not used all the time, and when it is, normally removed at the dealer.

It has been discussed and debated both ways. I figure if it is good enough to act as a tie down, it likely will also function as a 'tow' hook. Here is the original thread;
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=383390&highlight=hook

Peter

I agree. I think it is some sort of temporary tie down hook. When I installed the Ford tow hitch on my '14 Sport, this hook is deleted and the new trailer hitch/crash bumper/muffler hanger assembly does not have any similar hook in same place.

I checked..... mine doesnt have that hook

Tow Package for 2014 Ex. sport

I recently got a 2014 Ford Explorer Sport without the tow package. I wanted to know what would be included if I was to install a classIII Tow Package by a ford dealership? would it come with "Tow" buttom, engine oil cooler(is this even needed?), wire harness, exc... If anyone has a price for this job let me know.

Thanks

I recently got a 2014 Ford Explorer Sport without the tow package. I wanted to know what would be included if I was to install a classIII Tow Package by a ford dealership? would it come with "Tow" buttom, engine oil cooler(is this even needed?), wire harness, exc... If anyone has a price for this job let me know.

Thanks

I have a 2014 sport with the tow package. It has all the items you mention above. The main thing is the bumpers are different. On my sport I have a removable panel that hides the hitch and wiring when not in use. I am sure you can cut the bumper to install the hitch but I love the hidden hitch feature of the factory setup.

the sport does not come with an oil cooler with the tow package. you will not get the tow button if you buy the hitch from Ford. It has to be a factory installed option to get everything.

You will get the hitch and wiring.

I did same as you - ordered '14 Sport without tow package. I then ordered the Ford parts hitch. I think approx CDN$360

Hitch kit comes with heavier gauge, box section steel replacement crash bumper (with 2" receiver box section, plug & chain up mounts, muffler hangers - all welded) to replace the non-tow package box section crash bumper.
New bumper is much heavier and mounts with 10 bolts. Replaces both left & right rear muffler hangers, too.

Also included are two plastic rear bumper cover pieces to cover or expose the receiver.
Installation requires full rear bumper cover removal plus cutting a section out of center rear. The two plastic pieces install in the cut out area and looks just like a factory ordered tow pkg when installed.

Install quotes were $300 to $400, so I elected to do it myself. Pretty basic stuff and comes with very complete instructions. I took my time and had no one to assist so whole thing took approx 7hrs. Would go way faster if had a second pr of hands or some experience removing bumper covers. Get yourself a few of the push-pin clips beforehand, too.

Plus take this time to install splash guards (if you were thinking of it) as you'll have it al apart anyway.

PM me and I'll email you the Ford part instructions if you want.

I looked at aftermarket 2" receiver hitches and they are nowhere near as heavy duty as the Ford part. $100 cheaper, tho...

Ford Part # BB5Z*19D520*AA KIT - TRAILER HITCH CDN$362.86

Thanks
As I mentioned, I have merged your thread with this one. It should answer your questions. The tow button has an affect on the transmission shifting pattern when engaged and as blwnsmoke posted, I believe it can only be added at the factory when the vehicle is being built.

Peter

14 sport w tow package ?

i have a 8x12 enclosed lo boy motorcycle trailor.
i pulled with for years with my 2003 expedition 5.4 w no problems..
sure hope this explorer can handle it no problems....
i just read and learned what the tow button does... so it looks like i need to go buy a new brake controller for this explorer..
any suggestions?? i had a prodigy last time...
so when i ordered tow package what did i get extra besides class III hitch??
did i get the bigger radiator? a oli or trans cooler?? thx!:D

i have a 8x12 enclosed lo boy motorcycle trailor.
i pulled with for years with my 2003 expedition 5.4 w no problems..
sure hope this explorer can handle it no problems....
i just read and learned what the tow button does... so it looks like i need to go buy a new brake controller for this explorer..
any suggestions?? i had a prodigy last time...
so when i ordered tow package what did i get extra besides class III hitch??
did i get the bigger radiator? a oli or trans cooler?? thx!:D
As mentioned in post 111, the Sport c/w tow package does not require an oil cooler. As for the brake controller, you may want to check out;
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=348830&highlight=brake+controller

Peter

Thank You

Good information, read through the entire thread. I have a 14' xlt 3.5 4wd and decided to go with the Curt's class 3 hitch. Got the hitch, rubber cover, 2" ball mount and wire harness for $189 shipped off amazon. After installing, I plan to research and install my own oil cooler and call it a day. At most I will tow a parts trailer and tow dolly for small cars.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

OK ... I think I know what to order now ...

Back