Did not prime the torque converter... what will happen? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Did not prime the torque converter... what will happen?

Reaction score
City, State
West Hills, CA.
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford Explorer 4.0L
So I was looking for the way to mount my torque converter to the flywheel and came across a thread someone else had made regarding the same. While reading through the posts I discovered that you should put a quart of fluid in the TC before instslling. I did not do that and am only needing to reconnect the exhaust and fill with fluid before firing up the vehicle. Or am I about to learn the hard way that priming the TC is mandatory?

Any input/advice welcome.

Thank you,

JS

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

FYI I am writing up a Newbs guide to rebuilding the 5R55E. I am making it as detailed as possible and telling all my hiccups in the hope that the next "Joe" that decides to take on a full rebuild of this transmission may avoid some of my errors. Its gonna be a long original post, but entirely useful, I think.

Priming em is a good idea. I've never had issue with gm converters going in dry but for safe measure after adding fluid you could jack up the ass end as high as you can get her and let it sit to let the fluid drain into the torque converter

Adding fluid to the converter before install is not necessary, it will fill during filling the transmission without any damage to the internals of the converter. Most of the time the converter has already had oil in it for the balancing process when it was remanufactured.

Well bolted everything back up, exhaust and all and began filling with fluid. But trans will not pull fluid in. I put in the initial 4 quarts and ran through the gears with the car idling a couple of times and started to add a couple more quarts when i noticed the puddle developing below the car. now its over filled according to the dipstick and running through the gears for 15 minutes has made no difference. I fear the converter may have backed off the pump while I was bolting it to the flywheel. I hope it did not cause damage to the pump, the input shaft, and torque converter itself, But it is my gut feeling that it has. About to drain the fluid I've put in so far and inspect for any metal then drop transmission and inspect for damage. Hopefully it just unseated without causing damage worthy of another complete rebuild I've spent every penny I have and even some that I didn't thus far and have no resources to replace anything that may have been damaged.

It will come out the vent tube if poured in too fast. Let it sit for a little bit and try again. Did you put back in about the same amount of fluid that came out?

There is a chance that the transmission will never prime without the torque converter being prefilled. I used to rebuild trannys for a living and we always filled them before installation. Every new torque converter I have bought has come with instructions which specified filling with fluid before installation.

[MENTION=12558]boominXplorer[/MENTION] Tranny was dry after a rebuild so zero of ten quarts to begin with.
[MENTION=71]Rick[/MENTION] The thread I read that on shared your opinion, but after discussing with several sources who said that it was not necessary I went forward as is. I'm hoping, but not hopeful that some damage has occured to either pump, converter, input shaft or a combination thereof. Time will tell I suppose.

Well, I drained the fluid so I could pull the trans back out and unfortunately all bad news. Full of metal shavings and pieces. So I've decided to head down to my local pick-a-part and by a trans from them for $139.00. If I install and it does not work they will give me another. No warranty period just on install. I am still going to rip apart the one I attempted to rebuid to see what went wrong. However first things first. I need a running vehicle.

Thank you everyone for your input and advice it is greatly appreciated.

Joe

P.S. I am not going to be writing the guide I planned on because of the catastrphic failure. I figure who needs to read "how not to rebuild a transmission."

Back