Did the dealer replace my battery with the wrong one? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Did the dealer replace my battery with the wrong one?

chartquist

Reaction score
City, State
Memphis, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer Sport
I have a 2016 Sport, just about 2 years in service and 31,300 miles. The battery has been sounding weak on startup, and I tested it at 12.35 volts. A bit disappointed that it conked out after barely two years of normal use. Since it's under warranty, I took it to the local dealer yesterday afternoon. After over an hour of it being hooked up to their super duper tester (apparently it tests the battery under various loads and recharging scenarios), they finally declared it dead and replaced it. I didn't visually inspect the new battery at the dealer. However, I did ask the service guy if they did the BCM reset. He didn't appear to know what a BCM reset is, and referred to a "master reset" that they did, and went on me some long-winded answer about phone pairings. I'm still not certain that they did the BCM reset, but all of my presets are still just fine and I guess it's not the end of the world if the vehicle still thinks it has the old battery, right?

Lo and behold, when I got home and visually checked, it's a totally different battery model! I was expecting a like-for-like swap to another battery with the insulation and the new one has none. The replacement is a Motorcraft BXT-65-650 model. I wasn't thrilled by this since I presume Ford chose the insulated battery on the 3.5L's for a reason. I called the dealer back this morning, and they said that the new battery is what they call a "red top" as opposed to the stock "black top" unit and the new one is actually superior in every way.

Am I being fed a load of crap? Any reason I should be concerned about the lack of insulation? Should I ask to have the stock model in there instead? I know it's just a battery, so probably no big deal, right? If the vehicle wasn't under warranty I'd just go to Costco and get an Interstate for a replacement. I just expected the warranty replacement to be the stock part and not a different battery model.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It'd be nice they did the BMS reset but it's not end of world that they didn't.

A 650 CCA battery is specified for civilian Explorers with IA--so you're fine. I had the same swap in mine and they also didn't remember to reset the BMS.

'Black top' is OEM only. The retail replacements are red. Again, it's not a problem.

Hmm... I wish I had paid attention to my battery swap. I don't remember whether OEM I had an insulator or not. I surely don't have one now.

I checked the Owner's Manual and it said to reinstall it if a battery is replaced and there was one. I believe, from what I've read here that the 2017's came with it and likely the 2016's as well. Honestly I don't think it really matters.

Peter

theyre a bunch of hacks if they gave no explanation why they didn't reinstall the battery cover. Sounds like the guy giving you the rundown about how they reset everything is a windbag:eek:

Thanks for the replies. I suspect they will give me a line that the "red top" is physically larger than the stock "black top" battery and therefore they can't put the insulator around it. I suspect they will then tell me again that the red top battery is better and I should be happy they did me the favor of putting it in. So, is there consensus that the Motorcraft BXT-65-650 is superior than the stock one?

Keep in mind... you can't "buy" the stock one even if you wanted to or replaced it as normal process. At the very least, the Red Top comes with a better warranty. That alone I'd take.

Peter, don’t have one on my Limited either, never saw it on the option sheet.

The old school purpose to keep the battery from freezing, really meant for ‘open country’ outside non sheltered parking, insulation if you will. I have seen them in the aftermarket.

Had to replace my battery last Oct. they were out of the stock 650 CA, so I got the 850 CA.

The battery in my previous 2014 MKT with the same 3.5L Ecoboost engine also did not have an insulation casing. I'm not sure what its purpose really is.
AutoNation Ford White Bear Lake | Parts & Accessories

Peter

Mine failed around 27K-28K miles and not unexpected here in AZ due to the heat. I just go to Walmart for the replacement as the OEM warranty is pretty limited timewise and with WM's being everywhere in the SW ... it's great for warranty on the next replacement.

Peter, don’t have one on my Limited either, never saw it on the option sheet.

The old school purpose to keep the battery from freezing, really meant for ‘open country’ outside non sheltered parking, insulation if you will. I have seen them in the aftermarket.

Had to replace my battery last Oct. they were out of the stock 650 CA, so I got the 850 CA.
I recall that back in to 60's we had a battery blanket installed. It actually ran off the battery to keep it warm. I guess it was somewhat like a low trickle current.

Peter

Back