Did The Dealer Try To Sell You Any "Last Minute" Extras? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Did The Dealer Try To Sell You Any "Last Minute" Extras?

Gandalf

Reaction score
City, State
Southern California
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Limited
My wife recently bought a new car and the day she took delivery, the dealer offered to sell her an extended warranty and LoJack. My question does not relate to whether these extras are good or bad, but rather what, if anything, the dealer tried to sell you at the "last minute".

The thing about it is that these were never mentioned by the salesman during the negotiations for the price of the car. They were actually offered by the finance guy when we went to do the money stuff. In effect we were dealing with two salesmen, not just one. Except that the second one didn't show up until we were closing the deal.

So for those folks who already have their Ex's, what, if anything, did you dealer spring on you at the last minute?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I haven't taken delivery of my X, but when I bought my Odyssey a few years ago, I recall they tried to sell me a tire warranty. I declined, and within the first 30 days, you guessed it, I got a flat that would have been covered and paid for the coverage.

I don't have my ex yet either but have purchased many cars. Every one of them offered a ESP. It was always the finance guy as well that offered it. I think this is a pretty common practice.

I haven't taken delivery of my X, but when I bought my Odyssey a few years ago, I recall they tried to sell me a tire warranty. I declined, and within the first 30 days, you guessed it, I got a flat that would have been covered and paid for the coverage.

Almost all tires come with a warranty.. you should have been able to get a replacement and only paid for the small amount of usage you had put on it.

For the last three cars I have bought over a few years (Lexus, Ford, Toyota), the finance guy is always the one that offers the extended warranty and prepaid maintenance plans. The first time it was aggravating because I was blindsided, but I got used to it.

you don't have to worry about this in small town America, my dealer is dealer, owner, sales & finance, very simple.

Thanks for the replies! It may be common practice, but forewarned is forearmed. I can now research these things prior to picking up my X and hopefully have a stronger negotiating position.

Almost all tires come with a warranty.. you should have been able to get a replacement and only paid for the small amount of usage you had put on it.

No tires I am aware of come with a manufactures road hazard warranty. They all come with some sort of warranty against defects.

I have always had to buy Road Hazard warranty on any tires that I purchased and that warranty was provided by the establishment selling the tires not the manufacturer.

No tires I am aware of come with a manufactures road hazard warranty. They all come with some sort of warranty against defects.

I have always had to buy Road Hazard warranty on any tires that I purchased and that warranty was provided by the establishment selling the tires not the manufacturer.

You are correct about road hazzard not being on new tires automatically. I experience this with my wife's Toyota. I'll probably pick this up.

This is a common sales tactic.

I was not offered any on the recent Limited purchase.

Thanks for the replies! It may be common practice, but forewarned is forearmed. I can now research these things prior to picking up my X and hopefully have a stronger negotiating position.

Here's the thing, most all of these options can be purchased any time within the warranty period, so what we've done w/ the last 4 cars we've purchased is said "Give me your lowest price, and agree to honor that price anytime within the next 2 weeks, or we don't sign" ... that has given us the 2 weeks to go research the best prices for those options. We have yet to meet a finance guy that wouldn't put it in writing for us for fear of losing a deal.

I was offered, and accepted Fords offer for a 6 year 100,000 Mile Bumper to Bumper extended warranty for $1500.....

So for those folks who already have their Ex's, what, if anything, did you dealer spring on you at the last minute?
Salesman didn't try to sell me anything extra. The finance person advised what extras were available if I wanted them but did not at anytime pressure me to buy them. I did take the extended Lease Care because it was something I planned to buy anyway.

I am considering the tire and wheel warranty given the 20" wheels and Michigan pot holes.

I didn't feel the maintenance plan was a very good deal. I am still contemplating on an extended warranty since I drive so much. About 20k a year.

I am considering the tire and wheel warranty given the 20" wheels and Michigan pot holes.

I didn't feel the maintenance plan was a very good deal. I am still contemplating on an extended warranty since I drive so much. About 20k a year.

How much are they asking for tires/rims protection?

I was offered, and accepted Fords offer for a 6 year 100,000 Mile Bumper to Bumper extended warranty for $1500.....

That's not a good deal.. I've posted before about Ford ESP's and have a dealer that will sell them to anyone for $100 over his cost.

A 6yr/125,000 mile Ford ESP, premium care, first day rental and upgraded to $50 deductible is $1,600.

Here's the thing, most all of these options can be purchased any time within the warranty period, so what we've done w/ the last 4 cars we've purchased is said "Give me your lowest price, and agree to honor that price anytime within the next 2 weeks, or we don't sign" ... that has given us the 2 weeks to go research the best prices for those options. We have yet to meet a finance guy that wouldn't put it in writing for us for fear of losing a deal.
Fully agree. That's why I wanted to know what the dealers were pushing these days. I wanted to be ready when delivery day arrives. I plan to have a printout of my Internet research when I go into the finance guy's office.

Blwn,

Would you PM with the details of the dealer and contact info please.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Can you get a Ford ESP after your purchase? 2 months into my Ex and beginning to wonder with all the bugs if it might be worth it now.

Back