Did they ever put black leather in the explorer? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Did they ever put black leather in the explorer?

WannaXP8

Reaction score
City, State
St. Louis MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer
I have a 98 with tan leather in there right now, but its a black truck, I would love to replace just the seats in black leather and leave like the rest of the interior the tan color, I think it would good..anyone have any ideas??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I dont think the seats ever came in black, but i think the 2k1 sport had black interior panels...not sure...i know someone stuck some mercedes seats in the explorer that were black, and those looked pretty sweet

heres the link to the mercedes seat conversion
Dead Link Removed

You could get the recaro racing seats that are in the XP8's

those Recarro's are $$$$$$$
Still mad sweet though....

If you don't want to replace the seats, contact a company such as Katzkin (easily the best), they can redo your seats in custom leather in any color, stiching or design you want. All the shops like California Customs and Performance West use Katzkin for their interiors, they're really amazing.

My friends 01' Sport had dark leather seats, like a Charcoal color, not exactly black but a lot darker than the leather in our Mounty or Explorer.

there was a lady in my neighborhood that had an EB explorer, that was black on black leather....

I know I rode in someone elses explorer that had either really dark gray or black leather. If nothing else you could get the seats out of a harley f-150 and make em work.

Originally posted by mattadams
I know I rode in someone elses explorer that had either really dark gray or black leather. If nothing else you could get the seats out of a harley f-150 and make em work.
Do the Harley seats:D Those have to be about the most comfortable seats I've been in....and they look cool as hell also;)

i read the write-up on that mercedes seat conversion and it seems to me that all you really need to do is learn a little about dying leather and get to work dying your tan leather black.

Originally posted by SaleenEXP
Do the Harley seats:D Those have to be about the most comfortable seats I've been in....and they look cool as hell also;)
Yeah, they are pretty darn expensive though... highly sought after... you can get em for something like $1200 a set.

yes- I think the 00 or 01 limited where offered in black. If not black very very dark grey. I saw one about 6 months ago in town and was thinking of swapping my grey out for the black.

Back