Did this come off my explorer

squd92expsp

Reaction score
City, State
Philly area, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 X Sport, '06 Ranger
Hi all,

I was wondering if someone could put my mind at ease or to possibly save me from certain disaster.

The other day I returned to my explorer in a store parking lot to find this sitting on the ground, just inside my rear tire.

2006_0531Image0002halfsize.JPG

2006_0531Image0003halfsize.JPG

It looked to me like a body mount, so i checked all mine. They were all there, and they're bigger than this. Is there any other part that looks like this that I should check? Was I correct that this is a body mount, but for a smaller vehicle? Any advise would be helpful.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

possibly a bump stop or something?

Looks sorta like a part of a tie rod end.

how about a shock bushing ? :confused:

broken sway bar link + bushing

Although I can't really see it to well, that looks sheared off. I doubt a cut like that would happen without some impact. Maybe left over junk from a fender bender?

It looks like a body mount, but I don't see how a body mount could fall off your truck.

It also looks like a swaybar bushing as was said...but then it would have to be sheared off...

I don't think it came off your Explorer.

its a sway bar link like justin said. it is not really a big deal they are fairly cheap, maybe 50 if you install yourself. it is the bottom of the bolt. a long bolt goes through some bushings and washers and through the sway bar and then more bushings, the frame mount and a nut.
their is no safety issue. you might notice that the rear end of the ex is rolling harder in corners. the bolts rust through all the time. i bet i replace 2-3 sets a week on all sorts of cars. change them both because if one broke, it usually isnt long before the other decides to let go.

their is still the possibilty that it did not come off your car tho.........

Thanks for all the responses. I checked the sway bar bushings, shock bushings, and tie rod ends today and they're all intact. I guess it did come off someone elses car. But I never would have thought to check the sway bar bushings and shock bushings until it was too late.

Back