Did you take auto shop in high school? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Did you take auto shop in high school?

Did you take auto shop in high school?

• Yes I took auto shop in high school

Votes: 15 41.7%
  • No I didn't take auto shop in high school

Votes: 12 33.3%
  • My school didn't have auto shop class

Votes: 9 25.0%

• Total voters

corkey

Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Elite Canuck,multiple ifs offender,, and musky maniac,, i wheel and i fish,,
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 xls,96 xl,91,08 Ranger
i lived on a farm when i was a kid,and we fixed our own stuff farm equipment, cars, trucks, all of it,,
i took shop class, but they gave us a lawnmower engine in my first semester that didn't run, was supposed to take all year to fix it, i had it running after the first period, second class, teacher gave me a small block chevy on a stand , i had it running in 3 weeks,, :)

<

Join the Elite Explorers $20 Gets rid of the ads!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

intelisevil

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Sandy, OR
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00XLT-SOHC,'99Mounty-5.0
As a Math/Science major and Editor of my school newspaper, I didn't have much time for "elective" classes. I did get one quarter of Auto Shop.

The main thing I learned was how to fix Drum brakes, not many cars had Disc brakes in 1976. My vehicles have always stopped well!

<

Machine090767

Reaction score
City, State
Minnesota
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer XLT
In my high school, back in the 80's, Auto shop was taken by the kids who were basically stoners who were failing all of the mainstream classes. So I knew I would NOT fit in.

<

chefduane

Texas Elite Explorer
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Plano, TX.
Year, Model & Trim Level
None: SOLD 9/16
No auto shop. Drafting and Plastics Fab were my 'shop' electives. I was a jock so didn't have much time for other stuff. School, Sports, Chicks, and Partying were my priorities!

<

CreepingNet

Reaction score
City, State
Sparks, NV
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 Sport 5spd 2wd
Yes, but had to quit because after my freshman year it conflicted with guitar and marching band. However, woodshop wanted me to teach the class how to make guitar bodies on my junior year so I guess it all evened out in the end.

<

traveler

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Mesa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 EB Explorer 5.0
Building your own guitar bodies... man that would be cool. I'm assuming you mean electric guitar bodies, which is definitely cool. If you are making your own Acoustic guitar bodies, then you've graduated beyond cool to artisan.

<

BrynBailey

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
OH-IO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Ford Explorer ST
Yeah, our auto class was kinda odd split up in different "crowds". The gear heads (everything could be made better/faster), the burnouts (just looking for a place to hide from school life), and the muffler shop guys (guys who already worked part time in garages or muffler shops).
Our teacher was pretty cool. He had a Super Modified Pull Truck team so if we wanted we could help him out on the side at events or on rebuilds. The schools shop couldn't hold a stick to what his personal shop was capable of! But he taught us a lot, most way above basic school curriculum which most of us already knew. Every spring he'd enter us in the High School Nationals at Norwalk Raceway. My Junior/Senior project I built a full Crower roller motor from a late 60's Corvette engine. Took my 80' Camaro from a 14 second 1/4 mile daily to a low 11 second barely streetable toy.
We had a lot of fun and I don't have any regrets on taking it over any other options we were offered at the time. Funny thing is only like two guys actually stayed in the automotive field probably because their family's owned local shops they were taking them over. Everyone else got away from it.

<

410Fortune

Truck Season!!
Staff member
Reaction score
City, State
NORTH IDAHO, 7B
Year, Model & Trim Level
B2 "Slightly" Modified
Callsign
FOURTEN
I was in wood working and metal shop, but never auto shop. At my high school the auto shop was provided off campus across town at a community college. I never knew it was an option until after I graduated.
I wish I had! they teach some cool stuff in some of those classes.........

<