didnt even know they had this forum | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

didnt even know they had this forum

zedsdead

Reaction score
City, State
vancouver, BC, CANADA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 XLT
well now that i know, i dont really want to lower my truck but i want it to ride and handle a whole lot better, i just bought new bilsteins and am getting sways soon, i was wondering if there were any spring kits (f&r) and whatever i could do to my torsions bars to make them handle firmer....? do they make upper shock mounts (pillowball like on import cars?) and camber/ castor plates for the x, i have a 98 4 door xlt no air ride.

thanks in advance,

z+

you're on the right track with the upgraded shocks and swaybars. beyond that you could lower it an inch or two to help with the handling. i wouldn't go beyond that if you want to keep an acceptable ride quality. i'm familiar with the upper shock mounts and camber/caster plates you're talking about but unfortunately no they don't make anything like that for the Explorers.

thx for the quick reply guru, so i just went ahead and bought the new issue of truckin magazine, everything from lifted trucks to lowered....like scraping the ground! ive seen some lowering kits in there, but the closest i could get was a kit for a ranger truck 98 + so im not sure if it will fit, im gonna try and email them and see what they say, if someone could clarify, the kit consists of control arms (i got excited at that one) front springs/flip kit (?) and hangers/ shackles or something for the rear, are there kits like this for the x? any brands i should be looking for? i guess i should tell you all my goal for this truck too, it'll be sitting pretty on 19's or 20's staggered fit, with mustang brakes.....and maybe some exterior mods like a hood and some bars......and then into the engine!...but i wanna get the suspension up to par first, all the help i can get is greatly appreciated!

z+

ranger kit wont work i dont think..... only edge models and 4x4 models are torsion bar like ours. regular rangers have coils. get the Explorer Express sway bars and the Explorer Express lowering kit and it will handle alot better. the explorer lowering kit is a 2 inch drop, acheived with blocks in the rear and backing out the torsion bolts. and it comes with a camber kit for alignment.

Back