Didn't think radius arm bracket can break | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Didn't think radius arm bracket can break

1993Saturn

Reaction score
City, State
Redmond, OR
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 4x4
93, 99 Bauer 4x4
I just got a "new" 93 Ex Eddie Bauer (sun roof is cool). Had some problems to fix. One was it would occasionally shake ferociously when braking. Thought it was loose bearings, then the ball joints, then the tie rods, then cross beam bushings. All were OK. The radius arm bushings were the only thing left I could think of. They looked like there was too much space in them. Got a set of Moogs and took the driver's bracket off. Plop! Out falls a piece of the bracket that was a blowout completely around the radius arm bushing hole. I think that was my problem:crazy:.
HOW can that happen! Did it's chute fail to open when it was dropped out of an Army cargo plane?
The piece of bushing next to it is what happens when the shield is not used on the right side by the exhaust.
20191225_101237.jpg

Wow! That's a first for me seeing that. At least that mount can be replaced.

Must have had one serious death wobble, or it landed too hard after a Dukes of Hazard river jump.

that is pretty wild, usually the bushings go then its metal on metal for a few years leaving you with a big oval instead of round. Your's looks like fatigue possibly, just a bad batch of metal on that bracket. It held up for many years, I mean a 93 was sold in 92 has been on the road for 28 years +/-. Urethane bushings are tough but they do not ride as nice as the rubber radius arm bushings. Don't forget to replace the nylon spacers also....

Yup, makes sense that it was metal fatigue from being improperly tempered. When I got my '94, I went to replace the bushings and one had broken through and obturated the hole like you said normally happens. My first time use Lincoln welder didn't work so well and my weld patch didn't go so well either, so I JB Welded the arm wear divot. Still holding together. It must have felt sorry for me. Anyway, I sure got respect for those radius arms. They take a lot of abuse. Why is it Ford had to use rivets and bolts to put the bracket on. At least that was what was on my '94. My '93 had it's brackets with only bolts, which makes more sense. I do not take out the spring and shove the axle out of the way to replace the bushings.

Back