Diesel Conversion... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Diesel Conversion...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

man thats cool :thumbsup:

Thats been on the site forever. Ok..a long time anyway. The last I knew they didn't know the guy who has/had it. Its been brought up here many times (usually by new members). No one has actually done the swap around here that I know of yet.

I'm looking at a few possibilities (I have to retain 4x4). I am looking currently at importing a TDCi that was shown on the Bronco Concept vehicle. Cost will be the main concern, but definately not the weight. The next option would be the 4.5 PSD...the big concern with that engine though is the mounting of the Turbo's. The weight would also have to be accounted for as the diff between the 4.5PSD and the 3.9BT Cummins is a matter of ~95lbs (PSD is heavier)...again...the turbo mounting would be a challenge, but I would remain in spec with the current US standards for the cleaner diesel.

Has anyone else done any real reading up on what will fit? I know that the I5 from Volvo will fit, but there's not alot of those in the US (I know of 4 throughout the US as of about 4 months ago). The next option would be to look at the VW I5TDi (think V10 / 2).

This is a long term project, and money is somewhat of a concern...but I have spent ~250 bucks alone in gas in the past 4 weeks...I know my company PSD goes alot further on that amount of outlay than my 4.0L petrol (milage wise).

Just wish they would introduce the Euro Diesels over here, yet our fuel still sucks too much...they keep saying maybe in 2007 they will bring a few over to test the waters....look at Jeep...they cant keep their TD's on the lot..and I have YET to hear a single complaint of problems with the fuel quality running in them.

Diesel fuel had gone way up in price. Better power/mileage/reliability or not...

You guys need to visit the Philippines. Most of the midsive SUVs there are powered by small turbo diesels (like the Ford Everest, the Explorer's asian cousin)

See...that 2.5L Diesel would nicely fit the bill of what I want, however, from the looks, the Everest in the PhP is between the Escape and the Explorer size wise. The US variant of the Everest is expected to be a larger Expidition (aka Expedition XL) since they dropped the Excursion from the lineup to appease the tree huggers...even though the diesel variant got better milage than many cars that are on the road (seeing as many of the cars on the road are more than 5 years old, and MANY are even older than that).

I didn't get to ride in one or anything (Fords are a minority brand there anyway) but they did look slightly smaller than a 3rd gen and about the size of a 1st/2nd gen. From what I've noticed (like my uncle's Mitsu Pajero) it's like the differential gearing is pretty highto makeup for the small displacement

My cousins Toyota Lite Ace (7 passenger cab over van) had a 1.5L gas motor :eek:

And on further investigation, the 2.5 (though its not listed as being) appears to be turbo as well....AND...it's rated for bio-diesel up to 100% (rapeseed only though it appears). This would be a great engine (considering it's been around for awhile with minor modifications to increase reliability as well as better meet the demands of the customers AND to meet Euro-spec air qual. emissions.

Once again, I think we are at the crossroads...more small diesels will be brought to this side of the pond once our dirty fuel starts to meet the next standards for clean air.

Although I cant find the number of vehicles this engine is fitted to, I'm thinking that it's a pretty common engine overseas...I wonder if anyone has imported one of these to the US and fitted it to a US spec model of it's Euro counterpart.

Problems with small diesels:

-too little horsepower. The Ford 2.5 makes something like 130 hp. Torque or not, that's not going to move a current model Explorer at any pace that's acceptable to most Americans.

-still perceived as dirty, smoky, smelly, etc.

-GM ruined the diesel's reputation in passenger vehicles in the 70s-80s

I'd shoot for using the 4.5 Power Joke motor. Skip the 2.5

Back