• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Diesel conversion?

Blackmajik

Reaction score
City, State
Maine
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XLT
Hey guys,
I searched on here before posting this and forgive me if I overlooked the location of any thread that may talk about this......
Has anyone seen, done, or heard of a diesel conversion being done on an Expolrer?

mowermechanic

Reaction score
City, State
Federal Way, Wa
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 Limited
yes, a daihatsu diesel, single cylinder 12HP aircooled, stuffed into an explorer. J/k but if you do, choose turbo diesel, because otherwise, you will not have half the performance. (pulling power, not passing power)

Sams01XplrSprt

Southern Cali Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Newport Beach California & Bay Area California
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Sport (sold)
that would be awesome if they made a turbo diesel explorer

90ranajo

The Little TJ that could
Reaction score
City, State
Pattaya, Chonburi
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Toyota Fortuner
Callsign
KG7MXH
Your best options in my opinion would either be a Cummins 3BT/4BT, Isuzu 4BD1T/4BD2TC or a Perkins 4236. All are available with a SAE #3 bell housing which means any Chevy transmission will bolt up with readily available adapters.

The 3BT/4BT can be found in Frito-Lay delivery trucks and I think some UPS trucks. The Isuzu can be found in '85-'98 NPR box trucks. The Perkins can be found in Gen-Sets and many marine applications and some fork-lifts.

I would go with the Isuzu as its easier to find, has more forum support and is cheaper than the 3BT/4BT. The '85-'91 4BD1T was rated at 128hp and the '92-'98 4BD2TC was rated at 135hp.