• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Diesel Engine In Explorer

Reaction score
City, State
Charleston, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Ford Explorer Sport
Would a 80's Ranger diesel engine and drive train fit in a 99 explorer without to many modifications? and will the electric harness work? anyone done this before?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

chezoom

Reaction score
City, State
plano texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
03' F-150 Super Crew
i dout the harness would work. would be a cool swap tho!

Reaction score
City, State
Charleston, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Ford Explorer Sport
I would prob use the rangers harness but the engine is a inline 4 diesel so it would easily fit in the explorer engine bay and i would most likely have room for a turbo

IZwack

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Germantown, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer
Just do it :)

Many people talk of dropping a diesel into an Explorer but not many actually deliver.

Reaction score
City, State
Charleston, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Ford Explorer Sport
Yea I want to cause when it reaches 200+k Miles i am going to rebuild the motor but instead i was gonna drop a diesel in cause not many have it and it will be a fun sweet thing to do, i am deciding what would be the easiest to put in