Diesel Explorer

darttyl

Reaction score
City, State
Birmingham, Al
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 sport
Hi,
I just found the forum and am intrigued at the wealth of experience here. I was wondering if anyone else is running a diesel in your explorer and what kind of mileage you are getting? If you are, what motor? Mine is getting 31-35, and I have hopes of improving that.

Thanks guys

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are you running the Cummins 4BT?

Yes, the 4BT.

Welcome to the site:chug:

We'd sure like to hear more about your conversion. It's been talked about, but I don't think anyone else has done it.

I'll tell you what, if you write up a good report about your conversion with pictures. I'll give you six months worth of Elite Explorer time for your trouble. If you decide to do that just send me a Private Message with a link to your article.

Thanks!

darttyl

u should do a video clip of u driving ur diesel explorer. I was thinkin of putting a turbo diesel engine on mine.

Is urs just diesel or turbo diesel.

I would really love to hear more about your conversion too

Haahaa yes, YEESS!!!! I love the raw power that comes out of diesels!

explorer+diesel= YEESSSSS!!!!!!

but, if you switched your engine for a different one, wouldn't that change the emmissions system on your truck, violating one of the Environmental Protection Agency's laws? Though shall not tamper with your engine or emissions system in any way.

The EPA might come after you now:shifty_ey

Some guys did this conversion around here, but always using a Ranger's 2.5 HSD and manual transmission. Does anybody knows what mod's have to do on PCM to work with AT?

BTW, they have to change the rear diff.

More details please.

At least give us some good pictures to drool over.

Just think of what Aldive could do with a diesel in his Explorer....hmmm 45-50mpg?

I'll try to scrounge up some pictures today and write up a description of it. It is by far the most fun vehicle I have ever driven!

Oh man you have my full attention.

I have been thinking about it but have not been sure.

Do you know how much weight it added overall after the swap?

Wow, that would be sweet, but with diesel prices nowadays... I'd still like to drool over some pics!

Wow, that would be sweet, but with diesel prices nowadays... I'd still like to drool over some pics!

i'm going to use this as my basis for mileage:
http://www.fueleconomy.gov/FEG/noframes/13210.shtml

however, your personal vehicle may get better. but i'm usign that for my example.

if he gets 31-35 with his diesel X on the highway (if it's highway and not city), and diesel is 4.67 (price here), he'd be spending between 13 - 15 dollars to go 100 miles.

for your gas explorer, the site says 19 miles a gallon on the highway, so i'll give you an extra 2mpg for whatever you may have done to it and say 21mpg. if gas is 3.99 (again, what it is here), you'd be spending about 19 dollars to go the same distance.

it adds up, it's a lot of money at first, but the savings pays for itself. that's why Aldive invests so much into his. with all the driving he's done, i'm sure those mods are paying for themselves

(i might be completely off in my math, if i am i'm sorry, i used a calculator but i could've messed up)

Sorry about the delay. School has started and since I'm a teacher, life's gotten pretty busy. There is already a link to my Explorer that a friend posted some information about it. Feel free to ask any questions. Only difference is that it is now 4wd. It was driven a year or so in 2wd before the transfer case was added.

http://www.therangerstation.com/galleries/Explorers/DieselExplorer.htm

Back