• Register Today It's free!

Diesel Explorer?!

jg09

Reaction score
City, State
Everson, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Eddie Bauer Explorer
I'm considering a few options when it comes to my daily driver. I'm reconsidering how wise it was to buy the Subaru Outback I have now. With full time AWD and my driving style while I'm in it, I'm consistently getting 19-20 mpg per tank. Plus, it isn't an Explorer.;)

So here's my idea:
Buy an X1 2WD Explorer sport. Take out the V6 and swap in a 4 cyl diesel and a 5 speed manual. Then, work on the aerodynamics of the truck (front airdam, side skirts, rear diffuser, etc.) and lighten it up as much as possible. So my question is what diesel motor should I look into? I'd want to get maximum MPGs from that truck.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think most that have done the diesel conversion use the 4bt. But you could be different and find something else.

isn't diesle a dollar more per gallon?

Or are you planning on used vegetable oil?

Diesel engines are more efficient because of the higher compression ratio, so the added mpgs will negate the extra cost.

could bumping the comp ratio on the v6 help at all?

If you was crazy you could UAE the hybrid platform out of an escape.

could bumping the comp ratio on the v6 help at all?

If you was crazy you could UAE the hybrid platform out of an escape.

I'm pretty sure the 4.0 sohc already is at 10:1 compression ratio, much more and you will need premium octane fuel or it will pre detonate. Diesel gets around this by injecting the fuel when it needs to fire.

isn't diesle a dollar more per gallon?

Or are you planning on used vegetable oil?

I'm thinking of going with SVO (solid vegetable oil) for fuel. And while diesels get about 20% better fuel mileage, diesel fuel also costs 20% more, so you about break even (at least that's how fuel rates are up here in WA). The fact that I can run vegetable oil, as well as make tons of torque out of a little motor, seals the deal for me.

I would seriously consider the 4BT Cummins. They can be hard to find at a good price, but my 92 Explorere sport gets 31 in town and 3 on trips with its 4B.

were did you get the stuff to do this conversion

Uber old thread bumping FTW! lol

if you read closely, you'll see that most of the stuff was custom machined and fabbed for the project specifically

Back