• Register Today It's free!

Diesel Swap

Mat R

Reaction score
City, State
Woodinville(and all of western)
Year, Model & Trim Level
'85
Not that I have the technical knowledge to actually be able to do this, but I wonder if it's possible to fit a Ford Diesel in an Explorer. I suppose it depends on the size of the engine, which I have no knowledge of either, but still....

It'd be pretty cool if it could be done since Diesel engines are submersible(sp?) when properly waterproofed. Those things have so much torque you'd be able to tow just about anything. Not to mention the gas mileage gains would be impressive too...

Just an idle thought that I kept myself busy with while on of my college professors was droning on about "Non-truck" stuff. :)

Mat

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

About the only engine that you could do this with is the Cummins 3.9l 4 banger. Its the same engine as the 5.9 just has two of the clyinder(I can't spell that!)'s chopped off. Its an option on the scorpion right now. The reason I say that this is probably your only bet is the 7.3l powerstroke is HUGE! I mean its a massive engine. Size and weight. The dodge cummins is not as big weight wise but its a long SOB. Its pretty heavy also but not as bad as the Powerstroke. I am sure there are other engines out there that I don't know of but my goal would be to someday get that cummins 3.9l with direct injection propane setup going in the Explorer. :)

The Cummins weighs over 1200lbs and is very long. The engine weighs about half as much as my VW Golf!

That'd be pretty cool to look at... What does Dodge use the 3.9L Diesel in? Sounds like it'd be fun to swap in... Anyone know it's stock HP/Torque/MPG of it?

Sounds very heavy

Mat

sounds like it won't work....not only would the engine need swaping, but I can't see how the dang thing would bolt on to the tranny. You'd have to push the tranny back a ton to fit the engine into the small space. On top of that you'll kill your front end with that much added weight.

Mat R: The 3.9l does not come in any Dodge so far that I am aware of. I accually don't know what it comes in from the factory. You would have to contact Cummins to find out that info. Cummins and Dodge are seperate companies. Same with Ford and International. :) The 3.9 L probably is not as heavy as the 5.9 which is the one Rick is talking about. I know I have seen pictures of it in Jeeps and I know it comes in the Scorpion.

Leebo: The whole idea of this swap would be to get rid of the non-bullet proof compenets of the truck. Which basically would be the majority of the drivetrain and the engine. The idea is the build a torque monster that can get over and through any rock crawling it needs to. The added weight of the larger engine would have to be factored in to the spring rates and the placement of the engine itself. This wouldn't be a swap engine project its much larger then just that. You would have to re-wire the entire vehicle, re-do all fuel plumbing, re-do your whole exhaust system and I am sure there is more to it then just that.

rpenner, why are you planning on using a diesel for the porpane, do those engines take better advantage of it than "normal" engines?

Mat

Mat R check out some of the older issues of Four Wheeler I think. They have a spot in there about adding propane injection to a diesel. Basically its like adding NOS to a gas engine only its not bad for it. More boost and more torque. I am not totaly sure about the specifics of this setup other then what I have read. So I don't know a lot. All I know is that my dream Explorer will have a diesel engine in it.

I think if you looked around, mainly in europe, you could definitely find a diesel motor the right size and weight for the explorer. Remember, space is a bit more limited there, so even the big trucks aren't that big. I think Isuzu has a diesel out there in the 3.5-4.0 liter range that makes something like 190hp and 325 lb-ft of torque.

On another note,not all diesels are heavy. BMW has a 4.0L direct injection motor that weighs within 100lbs of its gasoline counterpart. On top of that, its a 4 liter motor that makes 300hp and 325lb ft of torque.

Just throwing out ideas for ya, although I am not sure the cost of the BMW diesel could be offset by any mileage or performance gains, i figure the motor and tranny along with all electronics could run close to $20 G's.

i remember reading about the 3.9 cummins in an old issue of four wheel and off road magazine(august 2000). the specs on the enigine are:
torque-350(1500 rpm)
hp-130(2500 rpm)

and according to the article the engine was backed by a TH400 tranny. hope this helps.

4.0L V6

I remember reading a while back in on the the 4 wheeler magazines about how Dodge is working with Detroit Diesel to develop a 4.0L V6 for their Durango. You can bet that if and when this engine comes out I am making the swap, especially since I have almost no engine mods to date. I might want to go with a completely new engine, but then again, my current engine still doesn't even have 100,000 miles on it yet. I can look up the exact issue of what mag if anyone wants more information, although if I remember correctly, it was only a little blurb anyways. One more thing, I think they said it was gonna be three years, and that was about a year ago, so only two more years, eh?

I will have to keep my eyes open for that one. sounds interesting.

Mat

most of the SUV's sold in Europe are equiped with diesels. Those are usually supplied by other companies. All Jeeps and even Voyagers are sold with I believe 2.5L diesel engine. As far as putting a diesel that Dodge will come up with in an Explorer? I don't really think it's gonna be that wise if you think about the cost and all the mods you have to make. It's like taking Explorer's body and installing it on Dodge's floorpan.
Think moneywise,,,,,

Later,

Andre,
I was planning on going and plucking some money off of Rick's money tree, and then I'll have the money to do whatever I want just like Rick.

Andre,
One more thing, Detroit Diesel is the one actually manufacturing the engine, so Dodge is just putting it into their Durango. Buying one directly from Detroit Diesel and going from there is different than buying one off a Durango. Also, putting any diesel in our Explorers is going to require a lot of modifications to things like a stronger transmission, t-case, etc. This does not mean that we would have to use all Dodge components, but maybe none at all after some time when they become available from other vendors.

I won't deny that if you have money anything is possible. Trying to put this baby in is one thing but connecting it to the trans is another. If there is a will there is a way.

And let me know when you find Rick's money tree. I might want to drop by as well.

Later,
;)

Have you priced a "new" diesel from detroit? Even one thats already in production? Bet you won't find a new fresh diesel from any manufacturer for less than about 15 grand.

We just had one of ours majored a year ago to the tune of $20,900, Yep 21 grand. Granted it's a big engine but that was having it rebuilt, not a new one from the manufucturer.

I guess that they are a little more expensive than I had planned, but that's ok, I'll figure out something. Like Andre said, where there is a will, there is a way.

In the early 80's chevy put a 2.2 diesel in a s-10 pickup. It runs great it has 68hp at like 2500rpm and 180 ft-lbs or torque at 2800 rpm. This I think would be a great engine for a gas diesel swap. It is light and would be an easy swap. I think chevy used a th350 manual trans in tis little truck. But the biggest problem I can see is what someone else already said with the fuel tank, lines, exaust ect. I am looking into this swap very close.

Eric

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Fuel lines and tank is not a big deal. Got to run some new ones and rinse out the tank real good with some special detergent. All the electronic and electric stuff might give you a little headache but that's nothing. I believe that some of the early diesels made by GM were on the low side as far as dependability and longevity. It was like 80K miles to the first rebuilt. I dunno,

Your call,
let me know if you do decide. That might be cool driving a diesel powered Explorer. Less on your pocket considering that it will run no problem. See, for now I have more then 93K miles on mine without any big time items going bad. Nothing to do with engine or trans. Well, will see,

Later,

Back