• Register Today It's free!

Diff between v6 and v8

pbnj22

Reaction score
City, State
duluth minnesnowta
Year, Model & Trim Level
00 xlt 5. v8 awd
Can you tell a v6 from v8 from the outside?
Picked up my boat from storage and saw a 2nd gen in there out of the corner of my eye.. It was locked up and the guy said its been there for a few years and that the owner of the explorer didn't really need it so I showed some interest and might be able to pick it up dirt cheap.. It had cloth and looked super beat up though.... Had the newer style bumper so I believe it is 97 to 01. The dash had a guitar in the way so I couldn't see a 4 by 4 selector... had 890000 miles only !!!
So is there anything I can look for quick to check v6 or v8?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My 01 has v8 on both front fender's i think all v8 explorer's have fender badge's.

The badges on the fenders are the only thing I can think of that would identify it differently, but that might be just for the awd v8s. It's what I look for when I see an explorer.

the fender badges on the V8 are the only external identifier, however sometimes they're missing on the V8's (bodywork or repaint).

its pretty beat up on the outside and i didnt see any badges.. too much stuff to walk around the car though..
i have an 00 xlt 5.0 v8 awd so i was hoping this was a v8 and id try to get it super cheap.
i wouldn't pursue it if its a 4.0 though.. ill have to ask.. thanks for the help guys!

stick your head under the front bumper and see if the oil filter is on the front driver's side = V8.

Or just ask to pop the hood?

Count the spark plugs or fuel injectors or intake runners.

;D

Or stick you're head under and look for a transfer case or center dif. Transfer case = v6 2wd - v6 center dif (non selectable) = v8.

I don't visually know the difference though between the center dif / transfer case, assuming the awd wouldn't have electrical running to it.

From the outside, V8 badges are on the outside and I've seem some Mounties that have AWD badges on them which are 5.0 V8's.

Count the spark plugs. One, two, three, four, five, six...crap.

Obv answer is to look under it..if not you can tell by vin...

Can do that with a closed hood?

Seems that he cannot get under the car or even close enough.

Original post:

He could see inside it to tell the mileage. ..I would assume he could look under it (not meaning under the hood) or even look at the rear end.if it has traction bars its a V8

Can do that with a closed hood?
That is what the "open hood" lever is for. Technology is getting very hard to understand nowadays.

Can you tell a v6 from v8 from the outside?
Picked up my boat from storage and saw a 2nd gen in there out of the corner of my eye.. It was locked up and the guy said its been there for a few years and that the owner of the explorer didn't really need it so I showed some interest and might be able to pick it up dirt cheap.. It had cloth and looked super beat up though.... Had the newer style bumper so I believe it is 97 to 01. The dash had a guitar in the way so I couldn't see a 4 by 4 selector... had 890000 miles only !!!
So is there anything I can look for quick to check v6 or v8?

""890,000 miles only"" ;) hopefully thats a mistake lol

That is what the "open hood" lever is for. Technology is getting very hard to understand nowadays.
Easy even if the front door is locked? Breaking and entering?

Easy even if the front door is locked? Breaking and entering?
No...opening mouth and talking. Thats all thats required. We were all given a mouth, lets use it. ;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back