Diff cover options/opinions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Diff cover options/opinions

What type of rear diff cover do you have?

• Stock

Votes: 7 33.3%
  • Aftermarket steel

Votes: 11 52.4%
  • Aftermarket aluminum

Votes: 3 14.3%

• Total voters

ranger-93

Reaction score
City, State
Fayetteville, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 ranger, 01 f-350
What do you guys prefer for a rear diff cover; aluminum, steel or stock?

What are the benifits and downsides to each?

Is getting one with cap supports worth it, or are those usually used on the mustangs and cars that see hard launches?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This is what I have.... Blue Torch Fab

12287diif_2.jpg

You might have me sold on one of those lol. They look GOOD. Didn't see any rockcrusher available at the moment for the 8.8. Did see a Solid one available. Are they the same material or different?

I think they are pretty much the same thing-with different names.

I'm currently running a rock crusher.

2847914898_a4977f5458_z.jpg

IMG_1583 by maniak_az, on Flickr

It appears a ruffstuff specialties cover is in my future. They are 3/8" steel instead of the typical 1/4" and will work with the steeper gears (5.13 etc).
Ford%2088%20cover%202%2017%2008.jpg

~Mark

This is what I have.... Blue Torch Fab

12287diif_2.jpg

Very nice and looks super strong, but might be a little overkill for my wheeling...than again whose says stronger aint better lol

FYI - the thinner the differential cover, the better it is at transferring heat to the atmosphere. So if you rarely take the vehicle off road (or if you do a lot of towing and mountains), then I'd find a regular aluminum cover - not the thick ones because the extra material actually acts as an insulator.

I have the Warn diff protector just need to put it on again.

Tim

Hands down the best cover for offroad is from Riddler Mfg. The lipless design is superior, there is no lip to get hung up on.

I like that one too, plus the bolts are nicely protected. I would've bought a pair of these instead of the BTF one's had I known about them at the time.

FYI - the thinner the differential cover, the better it is at transferring heat to the atmosphere. So if you rarely take the vehicle off road (or if you do a lot of towing and mountains), then I'd find a regular aluminum cover - not the thick ones because the extra material actually acts as an insulator.

Aluminum is a rather good heat conductor (why they make finned amplifier heat sinks out of it), I wouldn't worry one bit about cooling even if it was 1" thick.

I have the cover with the load bolts. I figured with the deep gear ratio I'm running (5.13:1) combined with the bigger tires, it might help keep the gears from deflecting a little more. I don't hear of a great deal of R&P failures on this axle though, the pinions on them are huge (similar in size to Dana60 pinions, with an even thicker I.D.-to-O.D. on the ring gear).

If you do alot of rock crawling stay awat from the aluminum covers, they shater when hit buy rocks. On my X I just use the stock stamped steel cover and a diff skid from Rustys Off-road, its super strong and is alot cheeper than the aftermarked steel covers.

Does anybody with a Rockcrusher/Solid diff cover know if it increases the amount of fluid in the diff?

The rockcrusher one does increase fluid "some", but not by that much. Somewhere on here is a thread where I fit way too much fluid in there. The fill hole is very high BUT you fill it to the stock height (open the stock fill hole), give or take a little. That is assuming your pinion angle is the same as stock.

~Mark

I have the Ruffstuff one on my ranger. Quite beefy. The hardware has rusted to hell but that may have something to do with the boat launch (salt) :) I would recommend finding some stainless hardware.

I used to have the Mag-Hytec alum diff cover on my explorer and it was really nice. Tons of fluid capacity, dipstick/big filler, drain plug, and temp sender port. However, I seriously doubt it would hold up to dragging over rocks as good as a steel one. I am now running one on the tow rig tho for extra fluid capacity :D
P6130060.jpg

Painted with POR 15
P6130046.jpg

Back