• Register Today It's free!

Diff. Fluid Change HELP.

jumpn4jesus

Reaction score
City, State
Mooresville NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 4x4 Explorer XLT
I am going to change my diff fluids and try to extend my breather hoses.
I am needing to know where I can find info on how to do this. I only found one thread, but it was about an 03 ex. How much fluid? I take the entire cover off for the rear one correct? How do I do the front one.
Also need info on extending the breather hoses. The rear one on mine is broken off at the top of the differential.

thanks in advnce
Andrew

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just changed my rear diff fluid about a week ago. I got a 99 X sitting on 33.7 x 12.50 TSLs which has a 8.8 rear axle and it took 75w-140 syth and 3 quarts of that.

Quick 1st answer.. You remove the front diff fluid using a pump. There is no cover to remove.. just open the fill hole, put in a hose and suck all the old stuff out.

I "think" there was a thread about someone who put in a drain plug in the front dana 35 diff but I "think" that was a long time ago.

I don't know the capacities off hand (I'm at work) , but the haynes book has it

I don't know about repairing the rear breather.. I've extended ours but I just put hoses on them pices coming out of the diff (front and rear), ran them toghether near the transmission and ran them up to a small filter that I installed under the hood.

~Mark

I'm assuming you mean how do you know how much oil to put in because there is no measuring stick. On level ground you add gear oil until it starts to run out the fill holes.

For extending the oil breather hoses you can pick up several feet of fuel/oil hose at the autoparts store and route it as high as possible (making sure it doesn't get hit by any moving parts or allow contaminants to enter)... as for size you can cut off an inch of the old line to have the part store match up..

Thanks. I have 80-90 valvoline synthetic blend. I have 4 quarts. Guess I need more huh. So, your saying just fill till it's full? Ok.

Is there a way to get the rear breather to the rear of the cab? Is there a body plug that I could maybe cut a hole in to make it squeeze through?

Thanks. I have 80-90 valvoline synthetic blend. I have 4 quarts. Guess I need more huh. So, your saying just fill till it's full? Ok.

Is there a way to get the rear breather to the rear of the cab? Is there a body plug that I could maybe cut a hole in to make it squeeze through?

Yup.. you just fill it until its full and starts coming out. Its a good Idea to clean/wash around the diffs especially any higher areas that may have loose dirt/crude that could potentially contaminate the new fluid. Filling the rear diff through the fill plug can be difficult because of limited space. As such you will need either a flexible funnel or attach a rubber house to the gear bottle and squeeze it in.

My front line is routed up to the brake Booster/master cylinder with an upside down "J" appearance to keep water from getting in. My Rear line is still stock (mounted to the spare tire cross brace)..

Back