Diff Fluid Coming Out of Breather Tube.. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Diff Fluid Coming Out of Breather Tube..

Fischer

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Durango, Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 Explorer XLT 4x4
Well here's the situation. Few weeks back I noticed some fluid coming out of the front breather tube getting all over the fire wall.

So I pumped out all (almost all) of the old fluid then filled it with Amsoil 90W140. Then rerouted the breather tube. Well guess what is happening now, it's still coming out and dripping all over on my right side suspension and caliper etc... (hose is routed just under KKM)

What is causing this diff fluid to come up and out of the tube like that.

All tubes are same diameter coming up etc...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Front Axle - Vent Tube Fluid Leaks
Article No.
01-8-6

4/30/01

^ AXLE - FRONT AXLE LEAKS FLUID FROM VENT
TUBE - VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH 4X4 OR AWD

^ LEAK - AXLE - FRONT AXLE LEAKS FLUID FROM
VENT TUBE - VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH 4X4 OR AWD

FORD:
1995-2001 EXPLORER
1997-2001 RANGER

MERCURY:
1997-2001 MOUNTAINEER

This TSB article is being republished in its entirety to update the model applications and model years.

ISSUE

Fluid may leak out of the front axle vent tube on some Explorer/Mountaineer, Ranger and Explorer Sport and Sport Trac vehicles. This may be caused by fluid being thrown toward the axle vent by the gears during vehicle operation.

ACTION

Replace the axle cover and install the Axle Cover Kit (F6TZ-4033-BA). The revised housing cover has a baffle built in to reduce the possibility of fluid being thrown out of the vent during vehicle operation. Refer to the Instruction Sheet included in the kit and the following text for details.

The Cover Kit (F6TZ-4033-BA) includes the following:

^ One (1) Cover One (1) Hose

^ One (1) Hose Connector One (1) Vent Plug One (1) Clip

^ One (1) Sealant

^ One (1) Instruction Sheet

NOTE SINCE TORQUE PREVAILING FASTENERS MUST NOT BE REUSED, ALL LISTED NUTS AND BOLTS MUST BE ORDERED AND BE ON-HAND FOR EACH AXLE KIT INSTALLED.

PARTS BLOCK

OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES: NONE
SUPERSEDES: 97-26-26
WARRANTY STATUS: Eligible Under The Provisions Of Bumper To Bumper Warranty Coverage

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME
010806A Install Axle Cover kit 1.7 Hrs.

DEALER CODING
CONDITION
BASIC PART NO. CODE
4022 D1

OASIS CODES: 509000, 510000

Holy Crap. That looks like a major PITA!!

I must be able to do something else. Possible set up a overflow or something.

I really don't feel like dropping the entire axle just to do that.

Any suggestions...other than getting a PowerTrax in there while I'm at it..lol

My 96 did that I just learned to deal with it. Though installing a longer breather tube and getting it higher in the truck might help alleviate it.

Originally posted by Namitey
...Though installing a longer breather tube and getting it higher in the truck might help alleviate it.
That's when it started. lol

I had it routed up to the firewall just above the heat exchanger. It threw up junk there then I moved it to just undet the KKM. Now that is all spoo'd.

I am running out of places to route it without it dripping and running down all over the underside and getting splattered. I think it's getting on my right front wheel and possible disc...:(

As an engineering note

You can generally solve these problems by expanding the diameter of the tube at a convnient location. I would suggest using one of those cheap $2 see through plastic gas filters. The inlet end would go to the differential. Mount it vertically. This would allow gas to escape and retain a considerable amount of lubricant. The filter element would act as a collector.

I think that I'll do that. Or put in a valve so I can run it down for normal driving and flip it to breathe out of the higher tube when crossing water. Which I have to say is not very often...

Ckeck for water in the diff. I tried all kinds of mod's with the tube, changed fluid several times. Finally opened diff cover and completely drained and dried. I didn't notice any milkyness in the fluid when changed, but did notice some water in side the diff when pulling the cover.

I later was told that a small amount of water mixed with the diff fluid may not appear milky and will thin out the fluid just enough to spit out the tube.

I since have replaced my axel seals and have not had any more problems. :D

Back