• Register Today It's free!

Diff oils

Bluespear

Reaction score
City, State
Ashford, Kent, England (near London)
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 4.0 SOHC
My Ex is off for MOT tomorrow. (1997 4.0 sohc)
While its on the ramp I'm gonna get the guys to change the 2 x diff & transfer case fluids.
Problem is, I can't find my manual & can't remember what grade oils to use or quantities req.

Can someone please post the data for me.

Thanks in Advance

Gary

BTW, does anyone know the name & colour code for mine ? ..... Its the dark metallic red / bergundy that most 97 models seem to be.

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

75-140 syn for the rear end and an additive for limited slip if it has it. I believe the front is either 80-90syn or 75-90syn; my mind escapes me now.

Rear diff you need 75w140 LS. If you use this you won't need the friction modifier. Also make sure its for limited slip diff.
Front diff is standard 80w90
The colour code is on a label under the bonnet. I believe you will find its FL/RT or something like that. Torreador metallic red over platinum grey metallic. (Note the grey is a shade darker on 9:cool:

Thanks for the info guys,
I've got some 80w90 in the garage, & the transfer case is same as auto transmission right(?)
but no-one local has 75w140 apart from the Ford stealer @ £27.61 per litre.
So I'll do the rear another day - Opie oils do Millers 75w140 for £13.61 per litre + £3.30 delivery.

Off to MOT now with fingers crossed !!

Thanks for the info guys,
I've got some 80w90 in the garage, & the transfer case is same as auto transmission right(?)
but no-one local has 75w140 apart from the Ford stealer @ £27.61 per litre.
So I'll do the rear another day - Opie oils do Millers 75w140 for £13.61 per litre + £3.30 delivery.

Off to MOT now with fingers crossed !!

I like millers stuff :thumbsup: I believe richuk set up a discount for forum members with opie.
Make sure you get the one for LS diff as millers do one for standard and one for limited slip. NXT LS i think
The transfer case uses standard mercon, doesn't need to be mercon V which the tranny needs.

Once you have found your colour code under the bonnet there is a thread in the useful info in the US part of the site with the names to match the codes

I like millers stuff :thumbsup: I believe richuk set up a discount for forum members with opie.
Make sure you get the one for LS diff as millers do one for standard and one for limited slip. NXT LS i think
The transfer case uses standard mercon, doesn't need to be mercon V which the tranny needs.

The guy at Opie's told me on the phone it was the one for LSDiffs as soon as I said it was for an Ex.
Thats handy about the t/f case - i've got some Dexron 3 sitting on the shelf, that should save a few pennies.

Once you have found your colour code under the bonnet there is a thread in the useful info in the US part of the site with the names to match the codes

Thanks for that. What are my chances of getting a decent finish from a can on the bonnet ??? - some scrote has keyed it across the middle, left to right - down to the primer on one side
There's also a bit on the rear quarter which was badly touched up by pen by a previous owner - I'm sure I can't make that area look worse than it does already (?)

Back