• Register Today It's free!

Diff or transfer box

Speedydannyboy

Reaction score
City, State
Weston super mare
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT
Finally got round to having someone look at the whine on my ex. They took it for a quick test drive and have diagnosed either the diff or transfer box. There wasn't a ramp free for a proper look so couldn't determine which.

He told me to cut my losses and het rid of her but I dint really want to! He told me that fitting a new transfer box would cost £1000s due to the cost of importing the part. I was under the impression that the diffs can be noisey on these but drivable?

Any ideas guys!? I'm having a rotten week as it is and thus is just the icing on the **** cake!

tosh m8 easy to fit ! pm sent

I believe ExplorerPartsUK in Newport will fit a secondhand transfer box for around 150.00-250.00.

I got a second opinion from a friend and he suspects the diff. Or possibly some other causes, driveshaft etc. To be fair I'm not sure how the garage I took it to could be so certain with a 30second test drive and a quick look underneath!? I guess he just didn't want to do the work.

So, I'm going to take it to my friend to look at properly. I'm a little calmer now, knowing it isn't going to be a £3grand job!

Back