Diff pin bolt extraction

gear_grinder

Reaction score
City, State
Central MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT 5.0
hi

started to work on taking the diff out of my truck to rebuild the LSD and an overall refresher, broke the cross pin retaining bolt (shank) off in the carrier (felt like it was broken already anyway by how easy the bolt came out).

I cant think of anyway i could get the carrier our without removing the diff pin that doesn't involve cutting the center spring to release the C clips from the shafts (i have a new spring anyway, just would have to go to town to get a cut of wheel setup for my die grinder)

any better ideas?

thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Man I hate it when that happens!

I'm not sure why Yukon's kit would not work. If it matters, I assembled the individual pieces to this kit (I expect it would be essentially the same as Yukon's kit) http://www.skywaytools.com/differentialrepair.html and it worked just fine. It seems the easiest way for a lot of situations.

I'm not sure why Yukon's kit would not work. If it matters, I assembled the individual pieces to this kit (I expect it would be essentially the same as Yukon's kit) http://www.skywaytools.com/differentialrepair.html and it worked just fine. It seems the easiest way for a lot of situations.

im sure it would work fine with the carrier out of the truck, but with the carrier in the truck there is not enough room clear a drill from various brackets welded to the axle (a 90 degree might work)

i'm just going to slot the spider gears, slide the c clips out, and take the carrier apart. Spiders were hashed anyway, i'll see what i can do with the carrier on the bench

im sure it would work fine with the carrier out of the truck, but with the carrier in the truck there is not enough room clear a drill from various brackets welded to the axle (a 90 degree might work)

i'm just going to slot the spider gears, slide the c clips out, and take the carrier apart. Spiders were hashed anyway, i'll see what i can do with the carrier on the bench

Something doesn't sound right..

Many people have broken this bolt on here and were able to get the bolt out. They would have had the same issue where you can't get the c-clips out so the axles can't come out so the carrier can't come out..

I'd look at some of the threads where people broke that bolt and see if you can see what they are doing different, or why they were able to get a drill in there.

~Mark

Something doesn't sound right..

Many people have broken this bolt on here and were able to get the bolt out. They would have had the same issue where you can't get the c-clips out so the axles can't come out so the carrier can't come out..

I'd look at some of the threads where people broke that bolt and see if you can see what they are doing different, or why they were able to get a drill in there.

~Mark

I did a quick search and it didnt turn anything up, i've already ordered new spiders and have got one shaft out by grinding the lip away from the edge of the c clip. im just going to solider on

Back