• Register Today It's free!

Diff Question

siguaw

Reaction score
City, State
Lynden, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Ford Explorer 2 door
I have a 1994 explorer 2 door. Pretty much stock with 31's. I went out playing in the local mud hole yesterday with my cousin. He has a stock 1995 Honda passport "GM MADE". He absolutely murdered me in every whole! the whole day was him pulling me out. I had everything on him,bigger motor,5-speed, 31's yet he out performed me in every scenario. I think it is time for an upgrade. I want to start with the diff's. I looked up my axle code "41" but the only info I get on it is its an open diff with 3.27 ratio. I need to order a locker or LSD unit. "i am open to suggestions on what I need but I cant seem to figure out what axle I am ordering it for. INPUT PLEASE GUYS!!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

lock or LS either way will get ou out of the mud better-- 2 lockers are even better-- and with 31" tires You should change gears to 4:10s or 4:56s.

im not saying this to be rude, but how experienced are you driving in the mud and off road? skill may have played a big part. maybe your cousin has much more experience driving through the slop thatn you do. there are some very informative videos on youtube on how to tackle different driving conditions if you are still a newbie at it. in terms of upgrades, if youre going to be playing in the mud a lot, there is no more cost effective move than getting a great set of tires capable of self cleaning, siping and handling the slop. next i would go with a set of rear lockers and a re-gearing. you will need to get out of the 3's, and move up to 4.10 if you plan on running any tires bigger than 31". good luck!

im not saying this to be rude, but how experienced are you driving in the mud and off road? skill may have played a big part. maybe your cousin has much more experience driving through the slop thatn you do.
I have been wheeling for years. My last rig was a 76 f-150,35's,4 inch suspension lift, 2 inch body lift with a 360. My cousin is actually new to the 4x4 fun. It is his first 4x4. The problem is he has LS and I had OD. My big question is who made the "41" rear end for ford? or is it a ford product? and I only plan to run 31's. For the most part I got the truck for mountain roads. I hike fish and hunt year round. It does great on the logging roads and snow. I just dont want to be put to shame when it does see the mud

you need new gears for starters!i (4.10 or 4.56 being you said mountain roads)but for now i would throw an aussie in the rear,will make a night and day difference.and you can always use it with your carrier if you ever get new gears.they are cheap and install in less than a hour.

With 31"s you should go up to a 4.10 gear ratio in my opinion. And then a locker in the rear will really help (on in both axles is ideal, but back is enough for just some fun). Aussies like everyone else said. Not too expensive.

I am interested in this Aussie, i guess my big question is what part do I order to fit my gears? I cant figure out what kind of axle this thing even is. Also i dont want to lower my ratio because most of this mountain road driving is 3.5 hours away down the freeway at 70 MPH. Thanks for all the input so far guys I feel like I am getting somewhere. Also what is the cheapest place to get this?

I think I found what i need. Is this correct? Aussie Locker XD-48831 Ford 8.8 31 Spline- it is listing for all explorers 1991-2000. It works on all of these?

I think I found what i need. Is this correct? Aussie Locker XD-48831 Ford 8.8 31 Spline- it is listing for all explorers 1991-2000. It works on all of these?

Yes.if you went to the right rearend ratio it would increase your mpg.you have the wrong gear for you tires and especially for mountain roads.

Thanks for all the advice guys, I will start with the locker for now. Next spring when work slows down i may take on the new gear challenge. Anybody have some vids of this Aussie locker in action on an ex?

Thanks for all the advice guys, I will start with the locker for now. Next spring when work slows down i may take on the new gear challenge. Anybody have some vids of this Aussie locker in action on an ex?

That's the good thing about aussie ,if you do ever upgrade you can still use it;)i don't bit i run them in the front and back of my truck and know many that has.they are solid,you can not beat the price or performance of it.one of my fav mods ;)

The first gens don't do as good in a lot of mud and ruts kind of wheeling due to the TTB (Twin Traction Beam) front end, which acts like a solid plow. Newer SUVs, even the crossovers, have independent front suspension which gives them more ground clearance, especially in the center.

It's just something you have to learn to live with. The TTB has it's best clearance to the drivers side, so driving on the very left side of trails with ruts can help.

You don't need 4.10 gears with 31's unless you're doing really serious wheeling. 3.73 gears are plenty and are cheap and easily available, they came stock on a lot of Explorers. If you change gears though, you need to change them in the front axle as well as the rear. A locker should be a big help for now.

The first gens don't do as good in a lot of mud and ruts kind of wheeling due to the TTB (Twin Traction Beam) front end, which acts like a solid plow. Newer SUVs, even the crossovers, have independent front suspension which gives them more ground clearance, especially in the center.

It's just something you have to learn to live with. The TTB has it's best clearance to the drivers side, so driving on the very left side of trails with ruts can help.

You don't need 4.10 gears with 31's unless you're doing really serious wheeling. 3.73 gears are plenty and are cheap and easily available, they came stock on a lot of Explorers. If you change gears though, you need to change them in the front axle as well as the rear. A locker should be a big help for now.
I would disagree about not needing 4.10.sure you don't have to have the right gears but first gets are extremely heavy ,have the worst trans ever and he is driving in the mountains.you always go one gear lower for mountains .3.73 would be better than what he has but 4.10+ would take some strain off the trans and also help to get the wheels spinning faster for mud and make crawling up mountain trails way easier.

my suggestion would be do the aussie and keep an eye out for a 2nd that has disc breaks,4.10 gears and is a open diff .the gears and having disc breaks in the rear would help drastically in the mountains.you keep running the gears and tires you have you will be looking for a trans in no time.i would get a trans temp gauge also.(this is assuming you have the auto a4ld)

It's just something you have to learn to live with.

That's not true...
Stick some coil spacers (or leveling coils) in there, elevate the thing up a little. It's possible to get at least as good if not even better clearance than any regular IFS where the whole entire lower A-arm crossmember is already at or below the bottom of the diff housing.

Do that (maybe a shackle lift for the rear at the same time), add your locker or L/S differentials, and some better gears and you should be able to kill that Isuzu thing no problem.

Also, I see no mention of what kind of 31" tires are on it... If they are not a M/T of some sort, switching to M/Ts would certainly make a HUGE difference over the A/T or A/S tires it looks like are on it in the video. ;)

Lono you always seem to have helpful, awesome and organized write ups

By the way how much chirping do your tires do on asphalt with the rear locked full time?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Lono you always seem to have helpful, awesome and organized write ups

By the way how much chirping do your tires do on asphalt with the rear locked full time?

Its not locked full time.only when torq is applied by the driveshaft .it unlocks when you let off or not excellerating hard into a corner.you would never know its back there unless your just on it all the time.

Back