Difference between 2011, 2012, 2013 My Touch/Sync systems | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Difference between 2011, 2012, 2013 My Touch/Sync systems

Wardo

Reaction score
City, State
Phoenix Az
Year, Model & Trim Level
14 SPORT
I all, I am new to the forum and looking to purchase a limited explorer. My mandatory option list is making it difficult to find what I want without building a brand new model. I wanted to avoid buying a first year model but happen to find a 2011 with almost every option I want.
Is there a difference between the hardware over the years? I have been reading the post regarding the my touch updated and it seems like the updated versions get pushed to all models.
I have only been looking into these suv’s for the last 2 weeks. So far I only seem to find issues/dislikes with my touch.
I guess the extended warranty will be a must if I buy a 2011 or 2012 model.

Any tips would be great.
Thanks
Ward

No hardware differences from 2011 to present on MFT/SYNC. I bought a 2011 a few months ago. It had an older MFT/SYNC software version and I downloaded from online the latest 3.6.2 version onto a USB stick and uploaded it to my Ex in the dash USB port and now have the latest MFT/SYNC as if I bought a 2014 that works great.

Easy update. No worries. As new updates come along you will be able to download them, though Ford is going to a new platform away form Microsoft and what happens to updates at that point is up in the air, but I will be happy with the present functionality for a while. Don't really care about things like Applink (though I would not mind having it) as I have my smartphone mounted next to the MFT screen and can easily access whatever I want.

I did get a one year extended warranty on my 2011 as part of the negotiations as my concern buying used is what happens in the next 4-6 months after purchasing that a seller may have hidden. My factory warranty expires this month, so my Ex is now 3 years old with 32k miles.

The Ex comes with 5 years on the drivetrain, roadside assistance and MFT/SYNC, so you would have two years on that with a 2011 (at least I do as the Ex is my secondary vehicle and won't hit 60k in 5 years). One thing about buying used is you would have expected the previous owner to get the kinks out under warranty. Browse this forum for common problems and make sure the Ex you are looking at does not have them. If you can find a 2011 that still has a few months left on its original three year bumper-to-bumper, all the better. That got my roof rail leak (common) fixed. Not sure an extended covers water leaks.

Welcome to the Forum Wardo.:wavey:
I believe the MyFord Touch (MFT) and SYNC are basically the same in all models probably up to and including the 2015 model. The changes that are made are done through software upgrades. Some early ones were dealer installs only but the last few have been upgradeable by the owner as described by tmg19103 above. I had no issues with my 2011 MFT or the Explorer itself.

Peter

Back