difference between a 1991 and a 1994 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

difference between a 1991 and a 1994

fobrnno

Reaction score
City, State
toronto, canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 xlt, 94xlt
Is there any difference between a 1991 and a 1994 explorer.
as in the appearance of the interior, exterior,and engine. just wondering if there was any styling changes between the years that can tell them apart by just looking at them.

thanks james

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

fobrnno said:
Is there any difference between a 1991 and a 1994 explorer.
as in the appearance of the interior, exterior,and engine. just wondering if there was any styling changes between the years that can tell them apart by just looking at them.

thanks james

You need to do a search on 91-94 Explorers because there are SEVERAL big long threads that detail all of the differences.

In the engine bay, a 91 will have less "stuff".

The most noticeable thing is, a 91 won't have EGR on the side of the upper intake manifold.

Cupholders might be different.

The A/C and heater panel is slightly different (different graphics).

93-94 years had the Limited model, which had different grill, front valence, fogs, wheels, seats, and an internal console (with compass, etc.).

Some 93-94 Sports had black tupperware, whereas with 91-92 Sports the tupperware is more commonly painted the same color as the body.

Throwing Star wheels, while on any 91-94, were more common on 91-92. Deer print wheels more common on 93-94.

91 relay box is under distribution box
91 A/C suction hose runs behind engine
91 has only 1 O2 sensor
91's are generally three years older ;)

I know 91's had 155 hp where 94's have 160. Not sure when it was upped. Anyone know how they got the extra 5 hp out of it?

One of the biggest differences is in the brakes...'91 had RABS and '94 had full ABS.

thanks for the help. the reason I'm asking is that I'm picking up a 94exp. with a bad motor and tranny but the body is in mint shape.and it the reverse for my 91 i have the motor and tranny is good.so my plan is to swap body's take it off the 94 and put it on the 91 and bolt every thing back together and have it all done in one weekend.
now would there be any registration issue in doing this swap? as i would like to keep it under the 91 ownership as ins. is cheaper.

thanks

Hello there!
I'm a new member of this excellent forum! I'm from Finland, if You guys know where it is...It's in northern europe, in Scandinavia.

What's the difference between Eddie Bauer and XLT conversions?

I'm buying my first Ex, and I'm thinking to buy '92 EB.

Is there any major differences?

Thank You all, this is a great forum! :)

fobrnno said:
thanks for the help. the reason I'm asking is that I'm picking up a 94exp. with a bad motor and tranny but the body is in mint shape.and it the reverse for my 91 i have the motor and tranny is good.so my plan is to swap body's take it off the 94 and put it on the 91 and bolt every thing back together and have it all done in one weekend.
now would there be any registration issue in doing this swap? as i would like to keep it under the 91 ownership as ins. is cheaper.

thanks

If it's an auto trans, keep in mind that the 91 auto is slightly weaker than the 94 auto was. A few reliability upgrades were done to 93-94 auto transmissions.

Don't know about registration issues. Each state might be different. Here in MO, you can't swap an old engine into a newer vehicle. Well, they don't have to know about it anyway. I think the intent of that law was to keep carb'ed engines out of newer (EFI) vehicles.

JakeHammer said:
Hello there!
I'm a new member of this excellent forum! I'm from Finland, if You guys know where it is...It's in northern europe, in Scandinavia.

What's the difference between Eddie Bauer and XLT conversions?

I'm buying my first Ex, and I'm thinking to buy '92 EB.

Is there any major differences?

Thank You all, this is a great forum! :)

Esa Tikkanen was from Finland. :D
So was Sibelius.

The EB had different seats, with the EB logo on them. EB's also had different color schemes. Eddie Bauer is just a trim package, as far as I know, there are no mechancal differences.

Hey, Rhett is the man! :D
You know everything!
Thanks for answers, I try to get some money to buy this excellent vehicle! :exp:

not all EB editions had EB on the seat, mine don't. From what I've been told mine is a "rare" EB edition "2-DOOR" sport. EB Explorers are only 4-door.

Back