difference between nav and turn by turn directions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

difference between nav and turn by turn directions

dannyb420

Reaction score
City, State
Cleveland, Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
'04 XLT
I was at the Ford dealer again today and the dealer was tellling me that even without the full Nav package I will still have the turn by turn directions. Is this true? what is the main difference? He told me it was just that one had maps and the other was just a voice telling me where to go. How does that work? I wonder if I really need the nav or can do with just the turn by turn directions?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I didn't get nav so I use the turn by turn. It works pretty well if you know where you are going ahead of time. I like the feature of sending a google map to the car for directions.

With that said, I would prefer nav, as I don't think Sync turn by turn is good on the fly. It is much slower than nav as it has to call in and download each time and needs to call and update if you take a detour.

I have also had a few times where it doesn't find my location and can't give directions.

I have MFT and it shows arrows and info on the screen.

I am hoping when they Get MFT bugs out we will be able to update and get nav even if it didn't come with car.

Find someone who has sync and MFT to show you how it works

Thanks, looks like I should probably go for the full navigation package. I find, as I'm sure most do, that the nav is most helpful when you are lost, or have to detour from your original plan. A few seconds an make a big difference when you need to make a quick turn or exit a freeway.

Exactly.

I had aftermarket Kenwood/Garmin nav on my last car and definitely miss it.

Exactly.

I had aftermarket Kenwood/Garmin nav on my last car and definitely miss it.

same here, I am back to my tom tom dash / window mount.....I picked up my 11 explorer today. Iguess the nav package can be purchased znytime, a download and upload from your walnet of 800

I was at the Ford dealer again today and the dealer was tellling me that even without the full Nav package I will still have the turn by turn directions. Is this true? what is the main difference? He told me it was just that one had maps and the other was just a voice telling me where to go. How does that work? I wonder if I really need the nav or can do with just the turn by turn directions?

Hi, dannyb420!

SYNC Services gives you turn-by-turn directions via voice only. You can also do a business search, get sports scores, and many other things.

Navigation has a map on your MyFord Touch screen and also gives you the turn-by-turn directions via voice.

Here are some links with more information:

https://secure.syncmyride.com/Own/Modules/SupportContent/SupportDirectoryDriverServices.aspx

http://www.syncmyride.com/Own/touch/navigation

Please note, if you don't order the Navigation package and decide you want it after you receive your vehicle, you can not add it on later.

Let me know if you have any other questions :)

Rebecca

Back