Difference between STOCK and RETAIL orders | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Difference between STOCK and RETAIL orders

Exit32

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Boston, Mass.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2022 Aviator Reserve
I placed my order for a 2016 Explorer Platinum before Christmas last year and have been waiting patiently since then. Yesterday, I once again reviewed my copy of the dealer's Order Summary and noticed that it indicates a STOCK order rather than a RETAIL order. It also indicates Priority Code 80 -- whatever that means.

I know that Ford typically schedules and builds retail orders before stock orders, so I sent an e-mail to my sales guy to ask why my order was classified as stock. He wrote back to explain that on a new model startup, Ford releases stock units before retail units regardless of the priority code.

I thought this info might be helpful to forum members who have 2016 Explorers on order. If my info is correct, make sure your dealer specified stock instead of retail for quickest delivery.

Just like in 2011. That's how some of us got them in 4-5 weeks, and others took months. Ask questions. If your dealer doesn't know this basic info, find another dealer. It makes a big difference in delivery times.

Back