difference in D4 and L73 rearends?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

difference in D4 and L73 rearends??

stackz

Reaction score
City, State
james island, sc
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 5.0 mountie
http://www.explorerforum.com/ntrprize/Axle.htm

also, the ad pop-up on that page is uber annoying as it covers the table's legend...and no I cant use a pop-up blocker as I'm at work.

anyway, whats the difference between the D4 and L73 rearends?

both are limited slip 3.73 rearends. one gives a load capacity but the other doesnt??

so does that mean the L73 can tow an infinite amount of weight? lol.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm pretty sure both are the same they just changed the lettering for them.

are the limited slip rearends in the 91-94 explorers 31 spline??

are the limited slip rearends in the 91-94 explorers 31 spline??

Yes all explorer axles 91-01 and the sports are all 31 spline axles.

cool found a D4 rearend at the u-pull and going to grab it this weekend. kind of interesting though that the other 4x4 91-94 out there right next to the one with the D4 had an open rear diff...axle code was 41...

you happen to know the size of the u-bolt nuts and such for removal puposes??

also, this will be going in my 96 ranger, anyone happen to know off hand if I'll need to keep the explorer drums or if I can use my ranger drums?? the stupid u-pull wants an extra $45 for the drums...

Chances are if your ranger has a 4.0, then the drums will be the same. The explorer may have had slighly bigger brakes because of the wieght.

Measure your ranger's on the inside and measure the explorer's. You are looking for width of the shoe contact area. The diameter ahould be the same.

Code 41 is for a open diff with 3.27 gears.

Back