Difference in left/right O2 Sensors?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Difference in left/right O2 Sensors??

gto06

Reaction score
City, State
Chicago
Year, Model & Trim Level
'06 XLT
I have a 98 Sport that threw a code and need to place both upstream O2 Sensors. Motorcraft lists part #DY831 as right side and DY832 as left side. Any difference in the two (wire lenghts) or can I just run one part number on both sides?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What was the code?

Why would you want to run the same part number on both sides the cost is probably about the same and then you have the right one in the right place

the code was PO133 and 153. I found an online parts store that has 2 DY832 sensors for $25...thats a $75 savings if one of them doesnt need longer wiring. Checking under the car now...

Wire length is the difference.
Oh, and the price.

a hint for you
remove the center console to access the passenger side 02sensor plugs.
There is a removable panel beneath the carpet for just this reason

It may seem like a hassle now--but believe me. It is a bummer to plug that sucker in from underneath.

both sensors going out at the same time is not plausible, before you replace your 02 sensors try cleaning your MAS and re-setting the computer.

I have $10 that says you replace both 02 sensors, go through all that time and $$$ and BAM codes come back.....

the chances of both upsteam sensors going south at the same time are about slim to none, a lean or rich code only indicates the sensor is doing its job. A non switching code would point to bad wiring or heater circuit issues.
Both sensors having the same code point to something upsteam in the intake that is effecting both banks. the place to start is the MAS

I too agree.

I would love to have adollar for every perfectly good O2 sensor that was replaced.

Good luck ......

thanks guys! cleaning the MAS now...

3.5 year update: Changing both O2 sensors did the trick. Now i got a P0442 code. Gonna move the spare tire out of the way and see whats what.

Back