difference in supercharger for 5.0 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

difference in supercharger for 5.0

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the roots-type charger creates boost imediately off idle (it'll have about 5lbs. at 2000rpm.) the powerdyne or any other centrifical type will make more boost as rpms rise. the powerdyne is easier to get pulleys for (for more boost) and easier to upgrade to an intercooler. if youre gonna keep the motor RELATIVELY stock, then the roots type is the way to go. monstrous torque and much better throttle response. if youre gonna race or go into your motor and modify, go with the powerdyne.

Thanks for the info,my last question is besides EXPLORER EXPRESS where can i buy a roots changer kit for my X that I don't need to make any mods?

the main difrence is the EE one does not make good power and the powerdyne one does.

i have to agree. the roots one is good for towing, daily driveing, good off idle throttle response... the powerdyne one is good for making someone take their car home and sell it.:D i helped a friend put a roots-style on a stang, and it feels pretty quick just driving around town. but when it comes down to business... it doesnt take much to outrun him.

Yup, it's all about the powerband. I'm sure my truck would be faster in the 1/4 with a centrifugal style supercharger; but I couldn't beat the pants off everyone at lights if I didn't have the roots style. My dyno graph is fairly flat and increasing from 2200 to redline in both hp and tq, a centrifugal will increase dramatically until redline. The roots-style is better for an all-around vehicle and for towing and wheeling. A centrifugal s/c is better for just being fast.

the powerdyne will make enuf boost soon enuf to out weigh any resone for getting the EE one. Troll had the powerdyne and there was nothing short of a 175 shot that could make it leave even harder. the powerdyne and other unit not make boost early enuf to conter act any cons that you would normally aply and the fact the hp curve keeps going up is even better. if that is not enuf for you get a stall converter and you will never be out of the power band.

Thnik about this though, if you want driveability what kind of S/C's does the factory use? Always roots. T-bird, Lightning, Pontiac, Buick, even Nissan. It gives you the most bang for the buck in the day-to-day range that you will be using it most in. Around town, the Roots type is the way to go.
If you want more all-out then the centrifugical would be the way to go.

Powerdyne was contracted by Ford to build the kit for the explorer and mustang. That is why it is sold in their performance parts catalog for the mustangs. Why is it they do not sell the roots blower for 5.0 mustangs in their catalog if it is so superior. Their was no lag with that blower on my truck and it made 370 tq. The 5.0 makes lots of tq already and it does not need the added tq. The reason they put it on the mod motors is because of the small cubic inches they need the extra tq to go any where. They real reason they put those blowers on the stock fords is it is easier to package in the engine compartment. If I am not mistaken the lightning is the first ford to acually go fast with the roots blower on it. The other cars you were talking about made low power and went slow. Not one of those cars made over 250 hp flywheel except for the lightning and I made 300 rear wheel hp with a smaller motor than the lightning. Ask EE how many kits they have sold and why they are discontinuing it if it is better than the powerdyne kit. I understand some people just want to go fast and some just want to look fast. Just my opinion and always make your own decisions.

do they make a cintrifugal type blower for the 4.0 explorers?

Vortech/Paxton makes centrifugals that work on the 4.0 OHV. I haven't seen a kit yet for the SOHC, but it probably wouldn't be that difficult to adapt to.

i dont think troll left any thing out.

Bill, I did not discount anything you said in your response in my post. I also don't see in my post where I claimed the roots is "superior". To each his own. In the intrest of fairness - both sides of the story must surface.
Cheap easy low end HP/torque=roots.
More effort = Paxton/Vortech = more HP/torque.
The Powerdyne seems to land somewhere inbetween the two. The point is moot now anyways, because the Eatons are all gone.
Then there is the smog issue. In California the EE kit was the only 5.0 Explorer mod that had smog certification.

I got back from the Winternationals a couple of weeks ago, and did not see any centrifugal superchargers. I suppose those guys just look fast....

EE is abandoning the blower because they have to be made in runs of about 500 pieces. The first run from '98 took this long to sell, and they don't want to be stuck with parts for a motor that FMC is no longer using.

Well - I am going to throw this out and see what everyone thinks:

Have dwelled on which way to go for a while. Here is my ending result that will be installed either this weekend, or through next week:
- EE s/c
- 24lb injectors
- 80mm mass air
- FMS ceramic headers
- Polished lower intake

The stuff already on my 5.0:
- K&N FIPK
- 1" spacer in upper/lower intake
- Superchips
- Custom exhaust - ( 1 hi-flow cat, 1 Flowmaster 40, 3" pipe)
- AIRAID throttle body spacer
- Jet 4 Stage Electronic Shift Module
- 70mm Granatelli mass air

Now for the reasoning - I wanted the lower side power more than I needed the higher rpm's. That's why the roots s/c. My X is daily driven, 125,000 on it now. Between a 26' boat, 2 jet ski's, and a couple of other trailers, and an every now and then punch of the foot, that is about the most workout it gets. I don't get to the track anymore, and try to stay clear of these 'new' street kids with their hi-strung cars I would just as soon use as a speedbump.

If any of you see something that would be better than that, or something that shouldn't go - let me know. Seems I finally got on a board where people actually know something about an X.

Sorry for the long 1st post, just trying to get some info...

CobraXP

for the 10 to 20 hp or pounds of torque produced down low buy the the EE blower at the most it is not worth the extra price increase. if you have to have the EE blower get it for your own reasons but buy a performance stand point no eaton blower will out preform the vortech, paxtons, or powerdynes in any way. you can have the EE blower it is a great oem blower but it will still only make OEM power and even a N/A 347 would out preform a EE blower on a stock 5.0.

i was looking on vortechs website and they make on for a 91-94 explorers...
how hard would that kit be to adapt to a 95?

Don't disagree with a thing you said, Bills bro.

BTW I saw the press release for the 2003 Mustang Cobra today. It's got an Eaton on it. Strange that with all the Paxtons, Vortechs, and Powerdynes out there they went with a roots style. My guess is that they put a crank speed sensor on it so you can't increase boost.

Different motor, I know - but the article claims 400 hp at 10psi.

As I told you earlier they put that crap on because it is easier to package it in the engine compartment. Those motors have no torque! You saw they had to resort to iron blocks just to hold 400 hp on that car and that is at the crank not to the rear wheels. The cobra with no blower made 320 to the crank and then they added a blower and made only 80 more horse. A stock cobra with just a Vortech made 460 hp at our local dyno the other day. Lets all count those numbers together, 140 hp increase with the same boost as the 2003 cobra. My math says it made 60 more horse than ford. In my book that is more impressive.The power to the wheels are what really matters. The 5.0 will hold 400 hp for years with no problems. The engineer who designed that 4.6 garbage should be taken out back and shot. Those motors don't have enough cubes and the stroke is too long. As my engine builder says " they put the cam in the wrong place". LOL

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back