Differences between 02 and 04 explorers | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Differences between 02 and 04 explorers

c2harvey

Reaction score
City, State
Picture Rocks, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLS
My mom has a 2004 Explorer V6 4x4 and i have a 02 explorer v6 4x4. Both are XLS, but she has a couple features that i dont. Her accessory delay works for the windows and radio....so they both stay usable for about 10 minutes after you shut the engine off. also, when you lock hers the parking lights flash. In my 02 the windows work with the delay but not the radio, and the lights dont flash. Is this just something that 02's didnt have?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The only differences I know about are the instrument cluster is different and there are adjustable headrests in all positions. Not sure about that stuff.

My mom has a 2004 Explorer V6 4x4 and i have a 02 explorer v6 4x4. Both are XLS, but she has a couple features that i dont. Her accessory delay works for the windows and radio....so they both stay usable for about 10 minutes after you shut the engine off. also, when you lock hers the parking lights flash. In my 02 the windows work with the delay but not the radio, and the lights dont flash. Is this just something that 02's didnt have?

Pretty sure my '02 Limited V8 AWD does what your mother's does, but it's not at the house now.

Mine has lots of features I have never used, like the two-fob memory that resets driver's seat and adjustable pedal positions. This after owning it over 7 1/2 years.

^If my 02 xlt does it Im sure your 02 limited does it.

i just remembered her theft light is just a red flashing light on the dash up by the windsheild, and mine is a light that says theft in the instrument cluster.

My 02 XLS 4x4 4.0 liter radio and windows work after turning off the key before opening the door.

Back