Differences Canada/US — Auto Lights | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Differences Canada/US — Auto Lights

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks a lot!
I will try to find one, unfortunatelly they are often not sold seperatly. Maybe the Steering Column of a European Model has the sensor, too.
Maybe it's cheaper to buy a whole column (form a wrong car) instead trying to find the sensor itself.

eBay is your best source for that sensor . Most places will not take them off a column a used column runs around $150 and you have to make sure it comes from a vehicle that wasn't wrecked in the front.. I believe 13 was a hit or miss year to have the sensor all 14 + do have it.and remember all piu explorer columns are not telescopic if you are going to actually look for a column

Thanks!
I will look for the Sensor alone, because of high shipping cost for an entire column.
In the first step I will remove the cover and take a look at the part/part no. Afterwards I will decide, what to do. I found a Sensor for about 60 bucks incl. Shipment.

Thanks!
I will look for the Sensor alone, because of high shipping cost for an entire column.
In the first step I will remove the cover and take a look at the part/part no. Afterwards I will decide, what to do. I found a Sensor for about 60 bucks incl. Shipment.

That's about the cheapest you're going to find it last one iI bough was $85. And I have access to ot of different places here.

I checked at my car. The red pin popped out. I will order the part and exchange it. Hopefully it is enough to unscrew the 4 bolts and drop down the steering column to remove the sensor.
During my check I saw the factory paint mark from the steering column. They are all original and matching.
BTW: when I remove the resistor out of the socket, the Airbag Light comes on.

If the red pin has popped out then the column has shifted forward 1/8 of an inch. Doesn't sound like much but enough to not fit the new sensor it's easy easy to fix this . Order new sensor. Take the plate off the top that holds it in it has 4 t25 torx I believe they hold it down the spot you will see that hits the new sensor . Very center just Dremel it a bit (1/8" ) so it fits snug over the new sensor .plug it in and you're good to go. And yes u can just drop the column down and reach it all without removing it from the car. And yes the air bag light will come on without that resistor bc it sees a break in the signal when it does the check.it is fine to leave the resisor in place until you receive the new sensor

thanks :-) I will have a look, when the Sensor arrives. I gues this will take a couple of days.

thanks :) I will have a look, when the Sensor arrives. I gues this will take a couple of days.
If you have anuore questions you can pm me I've torn quite a few of these apart I can pretty much do it with my eyes closed

Just to update everyone. I exchanged the Collapsable Steering Column Sensor. It’s an easy task, if the sensor is popped out without any damage/movement to the steering column.
Just remove the covers under the steering column and all the covers you would remove to access the fuse box.
Afterwards the 4 M8 Bolds of the steering column are accessible.
You are now able to lower the column and have access to the cover of the sensor, hold by 4 25 Torx bolds.
For me it worked quite well. The sensor is disassembled from a Russian Ford Fusion (not the US Fusion, I mean the European Fusion which is a small car based on the Ford Fiesta. Ford Fusion (Europa) – Wikipedia )

The Number on both Crash Sensors is ZG522961

A05B4C28-0A65-4E79-80B2-822A743B5A34.jpeg

26E660B5-8C8B-447B-A733-908B12515D1A.jpeg

2B189A09-433F-41CD-85D9-9DCB342BC510.jpeg

6DDFDCA3-8699-4F8C-9C91-EA8A810C397C.jpeg

B03E4500-78F5-4CCF-A8BE-6AFDF7B083D8.jpeg

Back