• Register Today It's free!

different 4.0L ???

SIGMAPIRATESHU

Reaction score
City, State
RIDGEWOOD AND SADDLE RIVER NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 SPORT
Is there more than one type of 4.0L engine that comes stock in an explorer??

i know there is a 4.0L SOHC is there another 4.0L?

if so

i have a 91 explorer sport 4.0L which do i have? which is better?

what is the difference?

thanks..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

4.0 OHV is what ya got... less power... good torque from these motors...

SOHC has more hp and a higher reving motor.
SOHC has had a few problems
The OHV is a more durable engine.

OHV is a LOT more reliable than the SOHC

by the way its also german made i believe, but rfr2212 is right , less problems with the 4.0 ohv

engine

thanks alot guys...

now i know, :)

Your engine isn't made out of "plastic" like the SOHC. That things a toilet. I can't wait till they come out with those plastic pistons and rods. Hahahah ;). Truth is OHV is alot better than that SOHC. Also your motor doesn't have a ton of chains in it. Hahah

Your engine isn't made out of "plastic" like the SOHC. That things a toilet.
You may want to throw a little proof behind that statement. It will prolly get flamed any minute now.

Robb

HEH! my intake is plastic!

The SOHC shares most of it's bottom end with the OHV, the differences are in the heads, cams, intakes, and timing system. And the later SOHCs are pretty darn reliable.

No flaming, just some facts.

Almost all of the latest generation of FORD engines use plastic upper intakes, lower intakes or both (I-4, V-6 & V-8). The type of plastic used is more thermal stable under extreme temperature changes than steel or aluminum. They also provided a smoother airflow surface than cast units. Couple these with the silicone gaskets and you have a better longer lasting seal. There were a few issues with lower seals due to the quality of product provided to Ford by their vendor.

The Ford 4.0L is the big brother in a family of Ford V6 engines that were/are built in Cologne, Germany, and have been used in US Fords since the early ’70s. The original 2.6L engine was replaced by the 2.8L, which was upgraded to the 2.9L and then finally bored and stroked to make it into the 4.0L that was used in the Rangers, Aerostars and Explorers starting in 1990. The SOHC entered the scene as an option in 1997. The OHV was completely replaced by the SOHC engine from this same family at the end of model year 2000.

RIP OHV:(

Well I'm new here and i was just speaking my opinion. I work with Ford Techs all day. They all agree that the OHV motor is far much better than any 4.0 SOHC. With a chain fill engine and cam tentioners going and recalls, they have a saying "IF you see the letters SOHC on the top of and explorer intake that means it SUCKS. SOHC SUCKS. I don't mean any down play to anyone that loves the motor. I'm new and don't really look at the preformance level of the engines in the X's yet. I'm catching on.

I personally love my SOHC.

Its def a nice motor.
Ran a 92' 4L and this far and away a better motor thusfar.

I had one recall on the cam tensioner... but other than that, besides bad O2 sensors, it hasnt had a single problem. Sure, the SOHC motor is more complex than the OHVs and will therefore have more problems... but don't think SOHCs are trash. I pulled a fullsized blazer outta mud this weekend, and I can easily keep up with my V8 friends. Sure, its not the best engine, but its definatly not a trashy engine either. :D Definatly loves to rev up too.

I wonder what kind of life the sohc have?, my ohc has to this date 265k miles and still has good oil pressure and needs less than 1/2 quart between 7000 mile oil changes and just passed nj state emissions.
Vic

I wouldnt expect the SOHC to live as long as its OHV counterparts for a few reasons. For one, the SOHC revvs alot higher, and if you end up revving it enough, you'll easily shorten the life. Another reason is that the SOHC tends to have more picky moving parts than the OHV. If you wanted reliablity in the long run, I would go with OHV, but if you want (more) power, and better gas miliage than a V8, I would go with the SOHC. Just do all your recalls, change the oil, and dont expect it to like 130k miles without problems.

Back