Different drivetrains AWD vs. Control Trac | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Different drivetrains AWD vs. Control Trac

joebnz

Reaction score
City, State
Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 5.0 AWD
Am looking at buying an Explorer/Mountaineer and am curious as to the difference and pros and cons of each type of 4WD system. I drove a '98 Mountaineer w/5.0L AWD and sounded like a whine, although very low in volume. Is this normal for the AWD? I have also driven a few Explorers w/Control Trac with no noticeable noise.

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you havent bought an explorer yet get a V8. They have the least expensive problems if any. For the AWD whine i don't know.

All AWD Explorers whine. Well, 90% at least. I just pretend its a supercharger.

Originally posted by section525
All AWD Explorers whine. Well, 90% at least. I just pretend its a supercharger.

LOL :D :D :D :D

I would do some searching here comparing the v8 to the v6's. The v8 is a very solid drivetrain, with many aftermarket options. It also has similar fuel economy.

the 5.0 sure is heavy duty. I like the quickness of my SOHC though. The 5-speed auto seems to make all the difference when accelerating from a fresh green light, per se. I believe, from my old motor trend performance numbers (the ones in the backs of the magazines) that the SOHC was the quickest to 60 as well as the quarter mile. :)

Originally posted by izackary
the 5.0 sure is heavy duty. I like the quickness of my SOHC though. The 5-speed auto seems to make all the difference when accelerating from a fresh green light, per se. I believe, from my old motor trend performance numbers (the ones in the backs of the magazines) that the SOHC was the quickest to 60 as well as the quarter mile. :)
Yep. My SOHC will show any V-8 how to accelerate. :D With 4.10s, I can do flat 8 second 0-60s. This truck seriously does haul some tail. With a lighter body with less rotational mass, this engine would scream!

Oh yeah, and 19/25 MPG is pretty good. Show me a V-8 that does that and is faster than me. ;)

How do I know if I have control/Trac?

I have a 4.0 SOHC 4dr. Auto 4WD (200 model) XLT with towing package. I have 3.73LS rear end. That control trac thing, ¿How does that work exactly or is that only a AWD thing?

ControlTrac is the 4-wheel drive system on Explorers where you can select from Auto,4-wheel high,4-wheel low. It is different than AWD which is non selectable and always on. I have no idea how the difference is for power distribution, but the Auto 4WD and AWD are different, and the AWD doesn't have a low gear option.

Didn't somebody say something about

Didn't somebody say something about my Control Trac being able to shift like 90%+ of the power to the wheel or diff. that grips instead of the one that slips. Kinda like a Limited Slip Transfer case

Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like most prefer the 4.0 SOHC but, back to the main question, what about the type of transfer case, AWD or Control Trac. Whats the best and also, whats the most reliable?
Thanks.

The V8 t-case is prob. the strongest, since it doesn't have a TOD clutch, and a bunch of electronics that run it. The only disadvantage to the v8 is that there is no low range.

Back