Different Kind of Serious Exploration | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Different Kind of Serious Exploration

donkey boy

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Rome, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 WJ
Probably it was not the smartest idea to squeeze inn a business trip to Toronto, Canada just on Monday before Thanksgiving, not if you plan to pass Thanksgiving in Cape Coral, Florida. Actually, it would all have been routine, if Mother Nature would not have decided to dump a huge load of snow on Buffalo and let the authorities make the decision to close all bridges from Canada back to the U.S.A. and prohibit happy Explorer drivers to play in the snow on their theretory. After an extra night close to Fort Erie, Canada, I decided that waiting is not an option and due to a bad forcast for lake Ontario and the fact I was already west of Toronto, I decided to make the detour over Detroit. The guy at customs thought though that this was a strange idea and that I for sure was running away from something (different than the snow) so he gave my Explorer an pretty good search before letting me go.
Ohio and Pennsylvania Turnpike was interesting, snow, slush and lotsa minivans in trouble. The BF Goodrich MT really prooved to be up also to this job. Toronto - Detroit - Richmond in just under 17 hours, but I made it!

After a very short night of sleep and a even shorter day at work, I left in the evening with the entire family to Florida, where we spent three days in Cape Coral and one day in Orlando. Some pretty strong thunderstorms made on the night drive home once more a kind of interesting, long ans slow. We arrived home this morning just in time for taking a shower and getting ready for work and the kids for school.

In 8 days, my Explorer made 4122 miles in probably all possible road and weather conditions and temperatures from the tens to the low seventies. I know that this is not our normal kind of "Mud and Muck Serious Explorations" or a new 1/4 mile speed record, but anyhow, I really was happy with performance of my Explorer in this "every day type of situation"!

[Edited by donkey boy on 11-27-2000 at 02:01 PM]

Back