different light source - metal halide and others... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

different light source - metal halide and others...

Hey all!

I did a little searching on these forums, but only came up with a few posts with reference, in specific, to metal halide bulbs, but no one seems to have talked about using one of these lamps for use as an off-roading light.

most of these types of lamps are sub-$50(but require a ballast), last for about 10,000 hours, and have the 'perfect' 4200k color temp. I'm fairly sure I can throw some type of simple reflector together with some math, to get one of these to project in many different ways.

I got this idea, while drawing up ideas for a DiY Projector, over at lumenlabs website, don't know if any of you are into that. ANYWAYS, these bulbs are cheap, efficient, and from what I've seen and tested, can actually take quite the beating(vibrations and dropping them lol). The reflectors I have for them are made to point as much of the birghtest part of that lamp, directly perpendicularly(ish) towards a lens, that will refract it towards an LCD screen uniformly, so I would have to build/make/buy some type of high-heat reflector...

I can do the wiring for them too, and I don't mind putting the extra strain on the alternator, my trucks almost 12 years old, so whatevs. :)

Might not be as efficient as a HiD lamp, but would be about at least an 8th the cost, and a fun sunday project, ya know?

While we are on the subject of different light sources, how about retro fitting one of those high wattage construction lamps, I have one that I've dropped countless times, at least once or twice from 2nd/3rd story window/painting rack, and the fixture was fine, and most of the time the bulb was fine too!

thoughts?

Great idea! But i think HPS would be better.

1. 3000k For fog cutting
2. Almost 2x more lumens per watt as MH ((85W HPS ≈ 150W MH) A.K.A. Efficacy)
3. Last longer than MH
4. Easily taken from a junked street light pole

But you also have to get an inverter to get 13.8V to 110~120V or 220v for the ballast (Unless you can wind a transformer yourself). If you can find a 12v ballast please tell.

Sounds good, but i wasn't planning on having those as fog lights, but rather as much better illustrators than the stock headlights - and the closer, IMO, to white they are, the better! I hate that yellowish color a lot of lights have from a low(er) color temp.

This bulb is one of the ones I could find(for HPS bulbs), but its length, over 9 inches, is a bit much for any type of efficient reflector. Not only that, but MH bulbs have pretty much the highest CRI index outa any other bulbs. I think I will try to put something together in the coming months(moving this coming weekend).

I'll keep everyone posted when I finish/start this project.

Back