• Register Today It's free!

different radiator versions?

punkbek3886

Reaction score
City, State
Vero Beach, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 Sport
i have a problem with my ex overheating on the trail and sometimes even on the street. i was looking into a new radiator since my birthday is coming up and i found that there are two different versions that came stock: a 1 row radiator and a heavy duty 2 row. i have the 1 row for some reason (because of manual transmission maybe?)

are the mounts different?

will i have to get new radiator hoses?

is there anything else involved with upgrading to the heavy duty version that i havent thought of?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had to replace the radiator on my 93 and they gave me the single tube version, would not fit, all the hoses etc were the same but the mount was different, been too long ago but I do have an automatic and towing package so don't know if that is the difference

oh i think im going to buy the heavy duty one and see if i can make it fit. i need all the cooling i can get!

well, i got the new radiator, and for anyone that wants to do this mod, it fits right up. the only problem is the fan shroud. the new radiator doesnt have clips to hold the bottom part of the shroud on but i just modified the ones that came with it to act as clamps. the shroud may hit the a/c compressor pulley but just barely.

i got a new radiator from radiators.com and it didnt come with clips either. i think these are a seperate part and you're supposed to salvage them from your old radiator. thats what i did, and it works great

Back