different trans.... no reverse!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

rawb4291

Reaction score
City, State
West Paris
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Sport trac
I have a 05 sport trac and I had the transmission changed and now I dont have reverse. I'm looking to see if I could get any feedback from this forum. The trans that was put in the trac had all gears plus reverse before it was put in the 05 sport trac.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Who installed it?
What did the transmission come from?

Sounds like shadiness and used/unknown parts...

Who installed it?
What did the transmission come from?

Sounds like shadiness and used/unknown parts...
The transmission came from a 03 sport trac that I had as a parts truck. The parts truck drove and shifted fine with reverse, thats why I decided to use the transmission. I had someone swap transmissions.

Did the installer adjust the shifter linkage? I had a similar issue with my re manufactured trans until I adjusted the linkage.
When you are in a gear is the needle not really lined up with the number?

Did the installer adjust the shifter linkage? I had a similar issue with my re manufactured trans until I adjusted the linkage.
When you are in a gear is the needle not really lined up with the number?
It was. When I had it in reverse the backup lights would go on. In the end I got another transmission from the junkyard with a 6 month warranty. Just curious, how do u adjust the linkage? I was just thinking about it the other day.

To adjust the cable you put the lever in drive and then hang a weight from the lever to help keep it from moving.
Pop the cable off of the shift arm on the transmission and rotate the shift arm counter clockwise as far as it will go then bring it back two clicks clockwise for the drive position. I do not remember if there was an adjuster to turn or if I just clicked the cable back on to the shift arm, but that is the gist of it.
Cant argue with a warranty on a part that is working!

To adjust the cable you put the lever in drive and then hang a weight from the lever to help keep it from moving.
Pop the cable off of the shift arm on the transmission and rotate the shift arm counter clockwise as far as it will go then bring it back two clicks clockwise for the drive position. I do not remember if there was an adjuster to turn or if I just clicked the cable back on to the shift arm, but that is the gist of it.
Cant argue with a warranty on a part that is working!
Thanks JuBean. I figured it Out.

Good to hear it is working now. The second trans installed by the same guy?

Back