Different type of misfire 5.0 2001 Explorer | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Different type of misfire 5.0 2001 Explorer

Is there anything that allows you to connect a smart phone to the ODB II port, or is it that you use a laptop for FORSCAN?

To-date (8 years and 6 Expl's) I haven't needed anything more than my small ODB II scanner to figure out CEL's and all my vehicles have always run well, but it would be nice to be able to see more data and program my own keys. My '01 ST only came with one key. I purchased another blank, but have never had it programmed, which is something I need to do. Damn truck never runs long enough w/out breaking down for me to consider it a priority.

There is a blue tooth OBDII connection, there probably are some posts on this forum about how to use the phone, blue tooth OBDII connection and Forscan, I just have always used my laptop. I like the bigger screen.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There is a blue tooth OBDII connection, there probably are some posts on this forum about how to use the phone, blue tooth OBDII connection and Forscan, I just have always used my laptop. I like the bigger screen.

Okay. I guess I'll have to get an ELM327-USB, download FORSCAN and get the driver. I'll probably just use my laptop. What's on the CD it comes with? The driver? What's the toggle switch do? Looking at this one...

ELM327 USB OBD2 Modified For Ford MS-CAN HS-CAN Mazda Forscan Diagnostic Scanne | eBay

-Thanks.

Koda,
Yes, my was something like that. Yes, the cd has a driver on it, and it looks like the switch toggles for different protocols HS/MS, not sure what they are, I got mine about 5 years ago and they did not have a switch at that time.

Sorry, Sorry it took so long to reply to all of the good people who responded, BUT I did find the fix. I did the compression test as suggested and all cylinders were at 155 psi. I changed the IAC to no difference. I checked the coils by slowly pulling the wires away and all had a strong spark. Also I had Auto Zone scan it as I watched and no codes were set. The cam and crank sensors both looked ok,no foreign materials or excessive damage and no teeth missing. Then I saw something interesting, there was a rather large piece of rubber sticking out of the harmonic balancer. My thoughts went into overdrive, could this be the only problem, that the engine was out of balance ? That would explain why there was no codes or any misfire problems at all. I had the balancer replaced and now my explorer is back to it's usual smooth running self.

I hope this post saves anyone with the same problem I had.
Thank you all who replied, I wouldn't have found the problem without your help guiding me to the crank sensor.

Thanks for the update. The balancer is turning up as a problem more and more lately. The great age is making it more clear that the balancer should be replaced at some point, like the timing chain set.

Thanks for the update. The balancer is turning up as a problem more and more lately. The great age is making it more clear that the balancer should be replaced at some point, like the timing chain set.

I once had one completely separate and start rattling around. It was a 40 year old balancer on my T-Bird. I've never had one fail on a more modern vehicle, but I know it can happen. I've also seen them slip, moving the timing marks to a new location.

Good reminder to check mine carefully before installing it. I'm still assembling the 5.0 for my Ranger.

I had one completely separate on my 97 cougar. Spun right off in the parking lot at work one day, made a heck of a racket. Easy fix though.

Back