ExplorerDMB

Moderator/Technician
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Mechanicsville, Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Acura TL
I recently put on a Chrome 8.8" Differential Cover on my Explorer and well, it started to leak some. What I would recommend, instead of using ANY type of paper type gasket or any other type of gasket, use silicone. Yes, Silicone is messy and could possibly get on the edge of your chrome, but don't put too much and smear it on a thin enough layer that it will make a good seal, but won't come gushing out the sides. If it does get too gunky on the sides, use a razor blade to trim it up. Also, be sure you have a smooth surface on the cover and the differential itself. No need for someone else to make the same mistake. Just a little heads up.

-Drew

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Got any pics? Where did you get it from?

464729_56_full.jpg

It started to leak at the bottom of coarse.

Thats the ONLY way to intsall diff covers! Don't waste your money on gaskest of any kind. A tube of RTV will seal 100 times better no matter if your reinstalling the stock cover or installing an aftermarket replacement.

mrboyle said:
Thats the ONLY way to intsall diff covers! Don't waste your money on gaskest of any kind. A tube of RTV will seal 100 times better no matter if your reinstalling the stock cover or installing an aftermarket replacement.
Have had my Alum trickflow girdle on and off 3 times in 6 mos, they call for a gasket and copper sealent, not a leak ever, both will work, RTV is OEM, could be the best way, maybe so maybe not, lots of ways to get things done

How often have you removed your Diff cover Al? My point is both ways work, perhaps with a 1/4 flange on an aftermarket aluminum cover, being far more maliable, a gasket may be in order,JMHO

spindlecone said:
How often have you removed your Diff cover Al?

On my Explorer, about 6 times. On my son's Jeep at least a dozen.

Ican understand the jeep, but with an OEM cover on your rear diff, out of curiosity, why would you remove and replace it 6 times?

spindlecone said:
Ican understand the jeep, but with an OEM cover on your rear diff, out of curiosity, why would you remove and replace it 6 times?

To change the fluid; I have experimented with various types.

aldive said:
To change the fluid; I have experimented with various types.
That makes sense, I understand:)

Back