How to: - Differential Fluid Change How To | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: Differential Fluid Change How To

Prefix for threads which are instructional.

jlsparky7

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Woodhaven, Mi
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 5.0 XLT AWD
How to on changing your rear differential fluid and resealing the differential cover.

ATTN MODS: Rick and I thought it would be a good idea to "double post" some of my how to's in different sections because a majority of them apply to more than just the 1996 stock explorer.

Rick, if im misunderstanding what you meant go ahead and do what you need to do with these how to's. Not that im giving you permission or anything cause I know you dont need it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thank you for the video and help, wonderful!!!!!!

This was a wonderful video. You did a awesome job making this video, it helped us out tremendously. Keep on making them. Thanks:salute::thumbsup:

Thanks a ton! Glad to make them. Plase subscribe to my youtube account! :)

Sparky - Great video! Do you know whether and if so where I can obtain a steel cover for the rear differential for my '91 explorer? The stock cover is fiberglass/plastic and when I tried to remove it I was afraid I'd break it.

yes they stayed the same from 95-01 so it would work for a 98

Would these same basic steps work on a 91' Ex? I mean with the RTV? or is there some other kind of seal that I should get? I have a limited slip 3.73 gear. and want to make sure I get the correct gear oil.

Back